Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Nurse Practitioner - Ambulatory & Primary Care - Northern Clinics in Bakersfield, California
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Bakersfield, CA
- San Luis Obispo, CA
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Santa Maria, CA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 7/1/2016 (115 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1670283
Care for Heroes... Become A Hero... Be A VA Nurse...
The VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS) is seeking experienced Nurse Practitioners (NP) to work in our Northern Primary and Ambulatory Outpatient Care Clinics. The NP will provide primary care to a panel of Veteran patients in a patient-centered, healthcare team approach.
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
The VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS) is seeking experienced Nurse Practitioners (NP) to work in our Northern Primary and Ambulatory Outpatient Care Clinics. The NP will provide primary care to a panel of Veteran patients in a patient-centered, healthcare team approach. He/she will function as a member of the Patient Aligned Care Teams (PACT) with emphasis on improving health outcomes through a system of care management and coordination. He/she collaborates with a lead physician designee in the team assigned. The NP is accountable to the Associate Chief, Nursing Service Community/Primary & Ambulatory Care and will report directly to the designated Nurse Manager. This poisiton may be at one of the following outpatient clinics located in Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria or San Luis Obispo, depending on facility needs. The NP "FLoat" position is expected to cover the Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo Clinics when necessary.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Evaluates the Veteran's physical health, family and psychosocial history to identify health care needs and documents in medical record.
Provides primary and continuity of care to Veterans.
Performs physical examinations using techniques such as inspection, palpation, and auscultation.
Maintains expected work load panel of patients, assuring their continuity of care and that health maintenance and performance measures are achieved.
Provides health education to Veterans.
Uses CPRS to document patient physical exam, treatment and plan of care.
Completes all relevant clinical performance reminders and participates in quality improvement activities and peer review.
Assists with the design and implementation of delivery systems/programs to facilitate the care of high risk Veterans.
Collaborates with team members to provide continuity of clinical care and implements treatment plan.
Orders and interprets diagnostic tests.
Prescribes medications in accordance with scope of practice.
Participates in patient, staff and community education.
Participates in medical and/or nursing research and quality improvement.
Duty Locations: Will be at one of the following clinics depending on facility needs:
- Bakersfield CBOC - 1801 Westwind Drive, Bakersfield, CA 93301
- Santa Barbara CBOC - 4440 Call Real, Santa Barbars, CA 93110
- Santa Maria CBOC - 1550 East Main St, Santa Maria, CA 93454
- San Luis Obispo CBOC - 1288 Morro St, Ste 200, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Functional Statement Title/#: APRN
- Occasional Travel
- SM SLO NP Float position will be expected to cover SM and SLO Clinics when necessary.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- English Language Proficiency
*Grade Determinations: * The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) or Doctorate of Nursing (DNP)
- National Certification as a Nurse Practitioner in Adult, Family, or Adult- Gero Primary Care
- Current Furnishing License
- Current DEA certificate for controlled substances schedules II-V
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association (AHA) or Military Training Network (MTN)
- Minimum (3) three years clinical registered nursing practice preferred
- Minimum (1) one year previous NP experience in an Ambulatory or Primary Care setting preferred
- Knowledge and experience with comprehensive Diabetes Management
- Experience working with Veterans and/or homeless populations preferred
- Computer literacy proficiency with in-depth experience using Microsoft Office programs or comparable work processing, spreadsheet and graphic software and the ability to learn new programs specific to the VA Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, kneeling, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The candidate may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The candidate may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. The candidate will be working closely with others and may have protracted or irregular hours of work.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $105,280.00 to $160,300.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: No new grads will be considered for this position.
Control Number: 434776400
Job Announcement Number: 16-RN-TRP-1670283-BU