Amtrak Police Officer* - 90203712 - Baltimore in Baltimore, Maryland
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Performs general police duties, processes and operations for the protection of life and property and enforces federal, state and local laws, prevents crime and preserves peace in a railroad surface transportation environment.
Note: The following are NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed but a representative sample of the primary duties and responsibilities.
• Responsible for the safety and protection of all persons, including passengers, employees and property.
• Performs patrol duties on foot and in a police vehicle for prolonged periods of time.
• Performs security and safety activities at incidents, including, but not limited to, derailments, floods, fires, hazardous material incidents, special trains, and company functions involving railroad property and responsibility.
• Responds to call for service and assistance, identifies hazards and takes proactive steps to resolve problems.
• Arrests and detains offenders, conducts thorough preliminary and follow-up investigations to solve crimes and reduce criminal opportunities, conducts searches and seizures and serves warrants.
• Effectively deals with individuals under various circumstances to resolve disputes and neutralize hostilities, mediates disputes; assists individuals who are sick and need assistance, administers first aid when necessary.
• Maintains proficiency and safely operates police equipment, including vehicles, computers and weapons, including a firearm.
• Communicates verbally in person and by radio; presents testimony and evidence in administrative, civil and criminal proceedings; maintains open line of communications with law enforcement and criminal justice agencies, internal and external partners, as necessary or when directed.
• Records information and prepares a variety of detailed reports with clearly organized thoughts and conclusions.
• Reads, interprets and applies federal, state and local laws and regulations, railroad and department policies and procedures.
• Must be a United States citizen or have the ability to work in the United States
• Must be 21 years of age
• Must possess a valid driver’s license at time of appointment
• Must be able to pass all components of the police application process, including:
a written examination, a physical agility test meeting the following standards: Bench Press: 57% of applicant’s weight; Illinois Agility run: 20.6 seconds; 300 meter run: 92 seconds; push ups: 12; and 1.5 mile run: 19:45 minutes; a job related physical examination; a psychological examination and an in-depth background investigation.
• Ability to obtain a railroad police commission from state of primary assignment or applicant’s state of residence.
• A certificate of successful completion of a basic police training program at a state authorized training academy.
• Current related experience as a police officer or similar law enforcement experience.
• An Associate’s Degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university
• Police officers work an assigned shift based upon the needs of the department and may be exposed to hazardous conditions and inclement weather, including extreme cold, snow and rain. Police officers are expected to work evenings, weekends and holidays as part of an assigned shift.
• Develop and maintain knowledge of areas of assignment and patrol those areas to deter and detect crime and prevent losses and injuries.
• Required to wear safety apparel and equipment while performing job duties, including body armor
• Will be required to bend, stoop, climb or stand and must be able to carry, push or pull loads; at times, will be required to run to incident sites, chase suspects, climb over or navigate around obstacles, subdue resistant persons, lift, drag, pull, push or carry persons or objects.
• Must be able to maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations, distinguishing persons, objects, voices or noises.
• Must be able to observe, analyze and recall facts and details, sometimes during critical incidents or accidents for reporting and evidentiary purposes.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Candidates who apply to this posting may be contacted now or at a later date when a position becomes available.
Requisition ID: 22602
Posting Location(s): Maryland
Personnel Area: MD01
Job Family/Function: Safety & Security
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: High School/GED
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements: No Experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Safety & Security || Amtrak Police