Citi Senior Java Developer (Surveillance Technology) in Belfast, United Kingdom
Primary Location: United Kingdom,Northern Ireland,Belfast
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Job Function: Technology
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Travel Time: No
Job ID: 16060199
Senior Java Developer (Surveillance Technology)
The Citi Communication Surveillance Technology group is working towards understanding and detecting risky banking behavior through how people communicate and operate. With our rich dataset and sophisticated surveillance algorithms, we strive to understand the big picture and to provide our users with the best in class detection and user experience.
In today’s financial markets, firms need to quickly detect and respond to abusive and erroneous trading or behaviour. Our technology solutions correlate real-time and historical data to detect market abuse, manipulation, money laundering and rogue trading across global markets and information barriers.
The Belfast team has now established itself as the global centre for Citi’s Trade Surveillance software development, responsible for the full SDLC from business requirements through to production support. We also have in-house data scientists that work closely with developers using cutting edge data analytics techniques and technologies to ensure the solutions we deliver are sophisticated and can ultimately lead to machine learning capabilities. Demand for more sophisticated surveillance algorithms, rolling them out globally and handling ever increasing data volumes requires further growth of the current team. This is an excellent opportunity for a senior developer with a strong OO / Java background to help to build new global surveillances in a growth area that presents exciting and topical business challenges.
Our core technologies include:
• Hadoop (CDH)
• SQL (SQL Server, Oracle, Netezza)
• Linux, Windows
• SSIS / SSRS
You will report into a Trade Surveillance development lead based in Belfast.
In this role you will be responsible for:
• Assisting with the design and build of new Surveillance components using a variety of cutting edge technologies
• Ensuring high quality software development, with complete documentation and traceability
• Promoting unit/functional testing and code inspection processes
• Working with business partners and BA’s to understand requirements
• Working with data scientists to understand and interpret complex datasets
• Working with project managers and support teams to meet delivery targets
• Mentoring and coaching more junior members of the development team
• Assisting with the provision of task breakdown and estimates
• Quickly becoming knowledgeable in Capital Markets, Trading, and Fraud Detection.
To be successful in this senior role you will need to be:
• A confident developer with experience in Java, Java Core/EE, or other OO language
• Experienced with Linux and Wintel platforms
• A confident SQL developer
• Experienced with automated build and test processes
• Highly adaptable and willing to mentor and train more junior team members
• A superb written and verbal communicator with excellent analytical skills
• Highly organised and prepared to deliver multiple parallel pieces of work
Additionally, the following attributes will be advantageous:
• Knowledge of Hadoop
• A degree in a Computing, Mathematical, or Engineering discipline
• Experience in MSSQL or Oracle
• Knowledge of agile development methodologies
• Prior work on cloud computing platforms
• Familiar with the financial services industry and/or regulatory environments
• Be able to demonstrate an active participation in the general IT community
• Experience in the implementation of machine learning algorithms
• Prior experience in working with satellite teams
In return, the role will offer you:
• Opportunities for career growth within a Surveillance domain that is expanding rapidly on the Belfast site
• Hands-on design and development experience including experience on a production implementation of Hadoop with massive data volumes and unstructured data sets
• Potential to contribute to projects involving complex feature-based data algorithms
• Exposure to communication surveillance functions in a dynamic and challenging industry with regular close collaboration with our surveillance portfolio clients
• A team with a win-together/lose-together attitude and strong sense of identity and positive culture
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
Valuing Diversity: Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success.
Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer