Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse in Cass Lake, Minnesota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Cass Lake, MN
- Red Lake, MN
- White Earth, MN
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Tuesday 9/20/2016 (32 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Your application will expire in 3 months and you will need to reapply to keep your application active.This is an Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) and applications will be referred when vacancies occur. This Announcement is intended as a mechanism of providing consideration for the greatest number of potential candidates. Candidates with a complete application will be considered for all vacancies that occur for a 3-month period or the closing date of this announcement, whichever comes first. You will be considered for those vacancies that match your desired geographic locations, skills and or job preferences. Positions may be filled at ANY of the grade levels indicated in this announcement, with or without promotion potential as vacancies occur. Applicants should specify the lowest grade (GS-level) that they will accept. ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Bemidji Area.
This position is located at the Cass Lake IHS Hospital, Cass Lake, MN, Red Lake IHS Hospital, Red Lake, MN, and White Earth Service Unit, White Earth, MN. The purpose of the positions is to provide clinical nursing services in an ambulatory care setting that may include emergency room, urgent care or the outpatient department. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTE: This position is replacing the position IHS-16-BJ-1614648-ES/MP/DH. If you would still like to be considered for this position you will need to re-apply under this vacancy and your application will remain active in the system for three (3) months for any availabilities. This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hiring procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-17-BJ-1793070-DH++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
- Performs professional nursing duties for the care of inpatients (ambulatory care outpatients, emergency cases, and patients in specialty clinics).
- Reviews and interprets findings to distinguish between normal and abnormal conditions.
- When assigned as team leader, provides guidance, direction and training to ancillary nursing and other personnel.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of stands of care, Quality Assurance and Infection Control activates.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses MAY BE authorized and MAY BE PAID. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Copy of current professional licensure required during the hiring process.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume. INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS BASIC REQUIREMENTSEDUCATION: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience ads a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-04
level.) REGISTRATION: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained.
The following table shows the amounts of education and/or experience required to qualify for positions covered by this standard.
- GS-04: Completion of a program of less than 30 months' duration or associate degree OR one (1) year of nursing experience as a military corpsman.
- GS-05: Completion of a program of less than 30 months' duration or associate degree AND one (1) year of professional nursing, or of at least GS-04 grade level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of a professional nurse. OR Completion of a program of at least 30 months' duration or four (4) academic years above high school or bachelor's degree.
- GS-07: Completion of a professional nursing program AND one (1) year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level. OR One (1) full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
- GS-09: Two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree OR one (1) year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level.
- GS-10: One year of experience at least the GS-09 grade level.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION At the GS-05 level, successfully completed undergraduate course work in nursing; the behavioral, physical, or biological sciences related to nursing; nutrition; public health; and maternal and child health in excess of that required for completion of an associate degree may be substituted for professional nursing experience at the rate of 1 academic year for 9 months of experience. Applicants for Community Health Nurse Positions at the GS-05 and above must have graduated from a baccalaureate or higher degree nursing program. Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the positon to be filled. Applicants for nurse anesthesia positions at GS-09 and above must have graduated form a course study for burses in anesthesia of at least 18 months' duration that was accredited by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the year of their graduation. Applicants for nurse midwife positions must have completed an organized program of study and clinical experience recognized by the American College of Nurse Midwives.
EVALUATION OF EXPERIENCE Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the positon. At GS-09 and above, many positons require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED
May require experience in a certain field of nursing depending on the position being filled. Experience with the nursing process including, principles, practices and procedures of nursing care required to assess and care for nursing needs of medical, surgical, pediatric and geriatric patients and other types of patients as assigned. Experience developing or participating in the developing of a plan of care to meet the needs of assigned patients. Experience planning and directing the work of others staff to provide quality nursing care to patients. Experience recognizing adverse signs and symptoms and to experience reacting swiftly in emergency situations. Experience working with pharmaceuticals, their desired effects, side effects and complications of their use. Experience assess patients of all ages and with a variety of medical or surgical problems. Experience working with and operating specialized medical equipment. Experience working with the principles and methods of continuous quality improvement measures and oversight. Experience insuring compliance with accrediting bodies. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Males over the age of 18, and born after December 31, 1959, are required to be registered with the Selective Service System (or have an exemption) in order to be eligible for employment with the Federal Government.
- Government housing is not available.
- Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
- Bargaining Unit Position (Red Lake positions are not bargaining unit positions)
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- A one/two-year probationary/trial period may be required upon selection/placement.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $43,785.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-04/10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel, Direct Hire Authority
Control Number: 451091000
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-BJ-1792501-ESEP/MP