Indian Health Service Supervisory Clinical Nurse; (OCA) in Cass Lake, Minnesota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Cass Lake, MN
- Red Lake, MN
- White Earth, MN
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Friday 3/18/2016 (218 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: The positions are located within the Bemidji Area IHS. There MAY NOT be immediate vacancies at all locations. Interested applicants should check with the local Administrative Office concerning immediate employment needs. Positions may also be filled at other IHS locations including the Bemidji Area Office and Tribe Organizations as vacancies occur. The purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive care to pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient sand departmental leadership support within the Bemidji Area. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT: These positions are eligible to be filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority [DHA]. The Direct Hire Authority has been authorized by the Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations [5 CFR]. If filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. The "rule of three," Veteran's preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the Direct Hire process. Indian Preference does apply.
- The incumbent plans work to be accomplished by subordinates and prepares schedules for completion of work; assigns work to subordinates based on priorities and capabilities of employees; evaluates work performance of subordinates; advise or counsel employees on work and administrative matters; interview candidates for positions, recommend appointment, promotion, or reassignment to such positions; hear and resolve complaints from employees; effects minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands; identify training needs of employees; approves leave, etc.
- Responsible to provide leadership, direction and management in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of the health centers' nursing program in a manner that provides quality care, maximizes human material resources, facilitates the team concept in the leadership decision making process. Develops, plans that maximizes available human and material resources.
- Analyzes work requirements and plans both short and long range methods for satisfying varying workloads, priorities, objectives and standards. Acts as advisor, collects data and assists medical staff in IOP/JCAHO/AAAHC/HCFA functions including review of mortality, morbidity, medical records and other monitors/duties on ongoing or generic requirements for IOP activities.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation may be paid.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a Supervisory probationary period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Submit Copy of Current Unrestricted Licensure.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Individual Occupational Requirements
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
Registration: Applicants MUST HAVE active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
The following shows the amount of education and/or experience required to qualify for these position:
GS-11: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level; OR, Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent); OR, Three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education.
GS-12: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled. EVALUATION OF EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position.
EXPERIENCE DEFINED: For GS-11: You MUST have duties such as: Develop and implement a plan of care for assigned patients based on the nursing process. Provide nursing interventions based on established plan of care and evaluate effectiveness. Set up and operate specialized equipment. Provide nursing leadership in maintaining the function of the in-patient unit, ambulatory care unit, and/or emergency room. Provide patient care in other areas as assigned within documented competency levels. Documents nursing activities regarding direct patient care, quality improvement, infection control, assignments, etc.
For GS-12: Professional knowledge of nursing process including, principles, practices and procedures of nursing care required to assess and care for nursing needs of medical, surgical, pediatric and geriatric patients and other types of patients as assigned. Ability to develop or participate in developing a plan of care to meet the needs of assigned patients. Ability to plan and direct the work of others. Ability to recognize adverse signs and symptoms and to react swiftly in emergency situations. Knowledge of pharmaceuticals, their desired effects, side effects and complications of their use. Skill in, and ability to, assess patients of all ages and with a variety of medical or surgical problems. Skill in the safe operation and use of specialized medical equipment. Knowledge of principles and methods of continuous quality improvement and ability to apply. Knowledge of, and ability to incorporate, cultural impact on health care provision. Ensures compliance according to CMS and JCAHO. Promotes an awareness and understanding of positive and moral principles consistent with the mission, commitment and core values of the organization and those required by federal, state law and accrediting agencies. Guide and counsel staff on immediate problems. Serves as a consultant and clinical teacher. Assists the nursing unit in the evaluation of quality of patient care and nursing practice. Adjusts personnel assignments and coordinates workload to meet exigencies and insure effective utilization of personnel on the assigned tour of duty. Must demonstrate performing a variety of complex nursing, administrative and research duties independently. Duties involve several phases of multiple activities being conducted concurrently or sequentially. Demonstrated performance in planning work for nursing staff and evaluating the nursing needs of patients. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Males over the age of 18, and born after December 31, 1959, are required to be registered with the Selective Service System (or have an exemption) in order to be eligible for employment with the Federal Government
- A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- Government housing is not available
- Rotating Shifts, Alternate work schedule, Nights/Weekends/Holidays, possible call back or stand by shifts.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- The incumbent may be required to travel and must possess a valid driver's license.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,081.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-11/12
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A; PHS Commissioned Corp Personnel; Direct Hiring Authority.
Control Number: 433171400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-BJ-1653374-ES/MP/DH