Indian Health Service Operating Room Nurse-DHA- Open Continuous in Chinle, Arizona
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Chinle, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 1/19/2016 (277 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-CH-1599577-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located with the Division of Nursing, Operating Room/PACU Department, at the Chinle Comprehensive Health Care Facility in Chinle, AZ. The purpose of this position is to perform all types of elective and emergency surgical major and minor procedures and interventions for Abdominal, Laparoscopic, Thoracic, Urologic, Orthopedics (Hand and Podiatry in conjunction with PT), Vascular, OB/GYN and Dental. Responds to emergency traumas and fetal distress C-Section. This hospital performs Short Stay Surgery (Same Day) with a census averaging 40-50% of total surgeries.
For more information contact the Nurse Recruiter: Ella Bia at (928) 674-7608 or email@example.com.
- Initiates treatments, medications, emergency and resuscitative measures based on appropriate utilization of physicians' pre and post-op orders. standing orders, post anesthesia, ACLS and PALS protocols. A large portion of emergency cases are C-Sections for fetal distress which dictates the OR nurse demonstrate knowledge and skills required to care for and treat expectant mothers as well as newborns in the operating room setting.
- Observes and assesses elective surgery patient's health status and critically ill emergency patients by physical assessment and examination, interviewing patient and family member and reviewing patient's health history.
- Operate and monitors specialized equipment such as cardiac monitors, EKG machines, glucometer, gastric and thoracic suction, and carbon dioxide tanks for Laparoscope, electric and video equipments for endoscopic procedures, air-powered equipment, oscillating and sagital saws, Dermatome, hypo/hypothermic devices, etc.
- Collaborates in development and evaluating standards of care for the peri-operative patient; participates in meetings.
- Identifies, initiates and participates in nursing studies, as well as performance improvement programs, safety workshops, continuing education seminars, in-services, etc.; ensures quality of care despite the situation encountered, be it routine or emergent.
- Occasional Travel
- 1-5 daya a month for training and/or meetings
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Current, Valid Nursing License
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
YOU MUST MEET ALL THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS LISTED BELOW:
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States . MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
In addition to the above, you must also meet the following minimum requirements for the grade level you wish to be considered for:
GS-07: Completion of a professional nursing program AND one (1) year specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level OR one (1) full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-09: Two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education or master's degree OR one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level.
GS-10:One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level. Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Work experience reflecting knowledge of hospital policy and procedures relation to patient care. Providing direct patient care for emergency surgical major or minor procedures. Records observations, nursing interventions, therapeutic measures, hemodynamic monitoring data and other relevant to patient. Providing care for surgical patients in Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU). .
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the "Status". Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
Period of Eligibility:
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
Government Housing Authorized, Depending on availability. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- On-call hours or standby duty may be required
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $52,514.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-07/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 426997100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CH-1599583-DHA