Mercy Health Registrar - The Jewish Hospital - Part-Time in Cincinnati, Ohio
Registrar - The Jewish Hospital - Part-Time
Job ID: 4638898
Updated: October 12, 2016
Geographic Location: Cincinnati
Location: Cincinnati, OH, United States
Department: Patient Access Registratn
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Standard Hours: 24
Under the leadership of Central Business Office (CBO) management, the Billing Specialist is responsible for timely and accurate billing of all claims for physician practice services. Billing of claims will be on the appropriate claim form (both HCFA-1500 and UB04) for the type of service provided. Claims include those to both the primary and secondary payers. Responsibilities also include the re-bill of rejected claims and the revision of claims in third party databases, where applicable, to secure payment.
The Billing Specialist also identifies and communicates recurring billing errors to management with recommendations for resolution.
This position is accountable for complying with all policies, procedures and regulations related to billing all payors. The Billing Specialist demonstrates the ability to achieve individual quality performance in daily duties, is team-oriented in seeking out work that needs to be completed and is able to perform all component billing functions for the Central Business Office.
This position provides support and assistance to CBO management, as directed. The Billing Specialist is expected to remain in full compliance with all departmental, institutional and regulatory policies and procedures at all times. The roles and responsibilities of this job support the mission, vision, values and strategies of Mercy Health.
POSITION: SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
This position is specific to cash reconciliation.
The Billing Specialist is responsible for the following activities:
- Processes complete, timely and accurate electronic and manual claims to third party payers in order to reach final payment adjudication including primary, secondary and rebilling processes
- Validates and ensures the claim data is accurate and compliant with applicable rules, regulations and procedures including:
- Ongoing knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and all other third party billing requirements
- Maintaining compliance with federal, state and local regulations, HIPAA and the Corporate Responsibility Program
- Ensures required attachments, such as remittance advices or explanation of benefit forms, are appropriately attached, if required
- Validates mailing addresses are correct and complete, as necessary
- Edits claims in third party databases, where applicable, to secure payment
- Monitors claim edit reports and resolves claims edit failures in accordance with department procedures
- Checks for Medicare claim status on-line and resolves suspended items and errors. Files adjustments or cancellation of claims with Medicare to reflect correct information (e.g. charges, diagnoses, dates of service, etc,) to ensure billing compliance
- Documents claim processing activity to initiate follow-up process
- Reports any variances in workload to the Central Business Office management
- Understands billing timelines and urgency in meeting filing deadlines
- Organizes work/resources to accomplish objectives and meet deadlines
- Maintains the privacy and security of all confidential and protected health information. Uses and discloses only that information which is necessary to perform the function of the job
- Demonstrates the willingness and ability to work collaboratively with other key internal and external staff to obtain necessary information to address billing issues
- Reports billing issues and trends to appropriate management personnel in CBO and works collaboratively to develop solutions
- Participates in all educational activities and demonstrates personal responsibility for job performance
- Takes initiative for learning new skills and willingness to participate and share expertise on projects, committees and other activities, as deemed appropriate
- Uses supplies and equipment effectively and efficiently
- Consistently demonstrates a positive and professional attitude at work
- Maintains stable performance under pressure and handles stress in ways to maintain relationships with patients, customers and co-workers
- Maintains compliance with established corporate and departmental policies and procedures, quality improvement program, customer service and productivity expectations
- Maintains satisfactory attendance and punctuality record as set forth by Mercy Health policies
Qualifications - Minimum
EDUCATION, SPECIALIZED AND/OR TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
Education: High School diploma or GED required. Medical terminology, knowledge of insurance and reimbursement procedures preferred. Business courses such as medical terminology, accounting, finance, cash applications, typing, and word processing preferred.
Experience : Minimum of 1-2 years Business Office experience in a healthcare environment, required. Physician practice billing experience is preferred. Excellent phone etiquette and internal/external customer service skills, required. Must be able to type, to follow directions and complete assignments within given deadlines and to establish priorities.
Specialized Knowledge/Skills: Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel preferred. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and experience in the following technology solutions: patient accounting, optical imaging, scanning, data quality monitoring and internet-based insurance websites. Knowledge of
Shift and Job Schedule
Part-Time, 24 hours per week
This position will work in the ED and Outpatient area. This position will be required to work some weekends and holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy to abide by all Federal and State laws, as well as, the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a), prohibiting discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibiting discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.