Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Angiography/Interventional Radiology-CT) in Cleveland, Ohio
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Cleveland, OH
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/4/2016 (18 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (3 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1817647
Our Mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans". How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, Ohio has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
Note: A Professional Standard Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for a Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Angiography/Interventional Radiology-CT). The Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist will function in Radiology Service. The Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist duties include:
- Interpreting requests or instructions from radiologist or medical officers.
- Independently interpreting and carrying out the requests made by physicians.
- Explaining procedures, positioning patients for desired results, and cushioning and shielding patients as appropriate.
- Transferring patients from stretcher or wheelchair to IR and or CT table.
- Preparing room, equipment and material needed for patient procedures; setting up exam trays.
- Identifying the patient and body part to be imaged.
- Preparing contrast materials under the direction of the radiologist for the purpose of performing exams requiring injectable solutions such as ordered "with contrast" exams and oral contrast for delineating the head of the pancreas during biopsies.
- Following prescribed protocols required to perform procedures.
- Observing patients during procedures and reports complications or unusual events to physician.
- Independently administering appropriate contrast media when ordered including starting I.V. for injection when necessary.
- Performing computer work and completing required forms (safety/screening) associated with patient exams.
- Performing daily quality assurance checklist for each CT scanner and record described values and findings on the checklist.
- Checking and making minor adjustments to equipment such as setting wedges, or changing filters.
- Properly labeling all contrast and other medication being used for the procedure.
- Maintaining a clean work area and adequate level of supplies within their assigned work areas at all times.
- Ensuring IR/CT department working environment in all exam rooms, control rooms, and the infection prevention steps are carried out.
- Providing clinical instruction to student from affiliated programs and facilitates to comply with established program objectives.
- Practicing radiation safety (ALARA) in order to reduce exposure to patient, staff and self.
- Assisting house staff in use of PACs viewing stations and system and can also digitize films for the network and/or transmission to offsite locations.
- Providing education to patients and their families on Imaging procedures. Maintaining records and files of patient exams and performing clerical and duties related to patient care.
- Conferring with a Radiologists regarding nonstandard or atypical examinations and determines technical factors, positioning, slice thickness, and modify protocol according to the Radiologist direction and guidance.
- Identifying cross-sectional anatomy such as the location, appearance, and function of the various major and minor systems susceptible to radiologic exposure and the physical abnormalities associated with most diseases or lesions which are customarily illustrated by IR/CT scanning in order to interpret examinations requests accurately.
- Setting up sterile trays and surgical trays to assist physicians in examinations and CT biopsies, a thorough and complete knowledge of safety procedures and their implementation in dealing with needles and body fluids.
- Operating CT scanner during IR biopsies and other examinations (i.e. Ablations).
- Checking all equipment and reports failures to the Supervisory DRT.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm, may require on-call hours
- Not Required
- U. S. Citizenship.
- Occupational physical may be required.
- English Language Proficiency.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Must have completed a full time training course of at least 24 months duration (or the equivalent) in a post-high school diagnostic radiologic technology program, evidenced by a certificate or an Associate's degree, accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT).
- Must have a certification by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) in Radiology.
- Must possess an advanced ARRT certification in Computed Tomography (CT).
Grade Determinations: Must have 1 year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level, GS-9, directly related to the position which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the work at the GS-10 level. This includes: Knowledge and skill in positioning of patients for a wide variety of difficult radiologic studies. In addition must possess the potential to acquire the following: Thorough knowledge of rotation protections standards, devices and techniques including concepts of accumulated dosage and genetic changes; skill to recognize changes in equipment and procedures that might result in increased exposures, and ability to recommend methods to prevent such exposures; knowledge of basic physics including concepts of energy, electric power, magnetic fields and properties of x-ray, in order to understand the operation of equipment.
- Minimum of one year of Computed Tomography (CT) experience.
- Minimum of one year of Angio experience.
*References: *VA Handbook 5005/77, Part II, Appendix G25
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.
When describing your experience please include your title, duties performed, and dates of employment (month/year).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: The Physical Requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies. [Insert a detailed statement from the Functional Statement, OF-178, or obtain information from supervisor].
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center. .
Areas of Consideration Applicants will be considered based on the following areas of consideration.
- First Area of Consideration (facility employees) Current, permanent Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center (CBOC's included), permanent employees of the Veteran Canteen Service assigned to this facility, Office of Information & Technology employees assigned to this facility, CPAC bargaining unit employees located at the Cleveland VAMC, and Virtual CBOPC bargaining unit employees under station 741 located at the Cleveland VAMC.
- Second Area of Consideration (other VA employees) Current, permanent Department of Veterans Affairs Employees (VA employees who are located at other VA medical centers).
- Third Area of Consideration: Current, permanent employees of other Federal agencies.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $58,162.00 to $72,310.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0647-10/10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Current, permanent VA employees and current, permanent employees of other Federal agencies
Control Number: 452426400
Job Announcement Number: FZ-17-JM-1817647-BU