Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse in Cochiti Pueblo, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Cochiti Pueblo, NM
- Dulce, NM
- Mescalero, NM
- San Felipe Pueblo, NM
- Santa Clara Pueblo, NM More Locations (2)
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Monday 1/11/2016 (287 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/23/2016 (60 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hire procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-AQ-1594163-DH for eligibility requirements.
NOTE: PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online to this merit promotion (ESEP/MP) announcement in order to receive consideration.
This Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) allows acceptance of applications throughout the year with eligible applicants being placed on the OCA register and referred for consideration when vacancies occur. The first Cut-Off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions will be 02/01/2016.Other Cut-Off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. Your application will expire in 3 months from application date and you must reapply to keep your application active.
Appointment may be Permanent, Temporary, or TERM with tour of duty of Full-Time, Part-Time, or Intermittent. The Agency has the option of extending TERM appointments up to a maximum of four (4) years. The Agency has the option of extending temporary position appointments up to a maximum of two (2) years. Temporary positions not-to-exceed (NTE) 12 months or less are subject to termination at any time. Positions filled by PHS Commissioned Officers will be Permanent Full-Time only.
The Clinical Nurse provides professional nursing care to patients in an outpatient setting in a hospital or in a field health facility. The position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse.
- Utilizes the nursing process in identifying patient problems and in developing, implementing and evaluating patient care plans.
- Observes and assesses patient's clinical condition; recognizes, identifies, and interprets serious situations and immediately initiates appropriate action.
- Operates and monitors specialized equipment.
- Administers therapeutic measures as prescribed by the physician.
- Documents observations, nursing interventions, and therapeutic measures administered.
- Prepares patient for tests, examinations, and treatment.
- Provides individual and family counseling and teaching.
- Not Required
- At the discretion of the Selecting Official, payment of relocation expense allowances may be authorized to new Nurses (new appointees) who are reporting to their first duty station. A new appointee is an individual who is employed with the Federal Government for the very first time. You will be required to sign a 1-year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the 1-year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours worked per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Education:Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicant must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
IN ADDITION, TO THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, YOU MUST ALSO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS STATED BELOW: GS-9: Candidates must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree.
Evaluation of Education: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
Evaluation of Experience: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Professional Nurse Experience: Uses the nursing process to provide the full range of professional nursing proficiency from assessment of the needs of a wide variety of patient illnesses through administering medication and operating and monitoring special equipment and reacting to emergency situations. Demonstrates the ability to provide comprehensive nursing care without specific instructions for each patient's care. This experience may have been gained in hospitals, clinics, emergency rooms or community health care settings.
SELECTIVE FACTOR: In addition to the qualification requirements to be rated basically qualified for the position, applicants must demonstrate possession of the following: verification of current, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels.
PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE (PHS) LICENSURE POLICY: Each PHS Nurse must possess and maintain a current, valid, active State licensure/registration as a professional nurse.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligible was issued.
A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement.
Position may be covered by a Bargaining Unit, depending on duty location.
Government housing may be available, depending on duty location.
Positions have no promotion potential; positions are at full performance level.
Positions are covered by Public Law 101-630, Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act. The Addendum to the OF-306 (Childcare Worker Form) is required for all applicants and can be found under required documents, above. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- At the discretion of the Selecting Official, payment of relocation expense allowances may be authorized to new Nurses (new appointees) who are reporting to their first official duty station in the Continental United States (CONUS). A new appointee is an individual who is employed with the Federal Government for the very first time. You will be required to sign a one-year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one-year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Alternative work schedule, call back, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $69,936.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employees serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled Veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 426235100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-AQ-1594162-ESEP/MP