Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Interventional Pain Management) in Columbia, Missouri
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Columbia, MO
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 1/12/2016 (288 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 1/11/2017 (77 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1598546
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Come work for a dynamic team at the Truman VA. Enjoy the benefits of 54 days of paid time off per year (26 days paid annual leave, 13 days paid sick leave, 10 paid federal, and a 5-day paid absence for approved CME), 5% 401K matching, subsidized health/dental/vision/long-term care insurance, free liability protection, flexible spending accounts. We also offer regular pay increases in the form of within-grade step increases, every 2 years (approximately $3,332), annual cost of living increases (variable and must be signed into law by the POTUS).
Many factors contributed to Columbia ranking #1 on City Magazine's list of Best Small Cities in Missouri. The University of Missouri's faithful support to local businesses did much to boost the city's economy. The city's keen appreciation of the arts opens the door for residents to enjoy such cultural events as international ballet companies, opera and contemporary musicians from all over the country. Three prestigious colleges/universities make Columbia their home: University of Missouri (Mizzou), Stephens College and Columbia College, giving the city a reputation for being an educational and cultural center. Healthcare, insurance and technology all contribute to the city's local economy. The Museum of Art and Archaeology and State Historical Society are part of Columbia's cultural heritage. Columbia is set upon the backdrop of beautiful forested hills, prairies, glades and mountains. Two state parks and a wildlife refuge encircle the city, preserving the natural environment. The city enjoys a perfect location that's roughly 120 miles from St. Louis and Kansas City and 29 miles from Jefferson City. The surrounding forests are comprised mostly of maple, oak, hickory and sycamore trees that flood the area with color in autumn.
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
RECRUITMENT/RELOCATION INCENTIVE OFFERED FOR HIGHLY QUALIFIED APPLICANTS
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R;) Service Interventional Pain Management Physician will work with a patient centered, interdisciplinary team to provide comprehensive medical and interventional pain management care in both the inpatient and outpatient setting in conjunction with Integrative Medicine modalities to Veterans seen at the Harry S. Truman Memorial VA Hospital (HSTMVH). Individual procedures and duties performed will be consistent with selected provider's granted privileges and based upon individual training, qualifications, and experience. In addition to the performance of procedures consistent with privileges granted, the selected individual will be responsible for performing duties to include, but not limited to the following:
- Applies comprehensive examination and differential diagnostic skills to develop plans of care.
- Provides care within the context of an interdisciplinary approach; provider will document services through appropriate notes.
- Applies knowledge of opioid and non-opioid medical management in appropriated selected cases.
- Participates in interdisciplinary team activities and works collaboratively with others within the PM&R; Service, the medical center, and VISN 15 facilities.
- Performs interventional pain procedures for cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral and other pain regions which includes radiofrequency nerve ablation, nerve blocks (including sympathetic, medial branch, and intercostal), spinal cord stimulators (implants if capable), and pain pumps; procedures requiring guidance will be performed using both ultrasound and fluoroscopy.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with other practice areas to ensure adequate and appropriate delivery of pain management services to Veterans through committees and work groups.
- Participates actively in delivering in-service training for PM&R; as well as medical center staff, PM&R; residents, etc. and supports an environment that encourages continual learning.
- Provider may participate in the PM&R; Residency Program from the University of Missouri, Columbia.
- Participates in a leadership role for pain management at the HSTMVH.
Work Schedule: Full time position.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Fellowship trained in interventional pain procedures or appropriate Pain fellowship with interventional training.
- Board certified/eligible Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: This is a direct patient care position and may require long hours of standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting, and positioning of patients, and sitting at a computer.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $200,000.00 to $325,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Non Citizens
Control Number: 426332100
Job Announcement Number: BX-16-JSc-1598546-BU