Defense Finance and Accounting Service Financial Systems Specialist in Columbus, Ohio
About the Agency
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
This announcement will be used to fill positions with an entry grade of GS-07, GS-09, or GS-11 with a target grade of GS-11. The minimum salary for grade GS-07 is $41,897, the maximum salary is $54,470. The minimum salary for grade GS-09 is $51,248, the maximum salary is $66,626. The minimum salary for grade GS-11 is $62,005, the maximum salary is $80,603.
This position may be filled as either a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Shift position and may require weekend and holiday work.
- Researches, analyzes and assists in resolving daily system problems related to the supported operational system (contract, vendor, travel, or other payment systems), interface systems, databases, and processing cycle issues.
- Monitors changes and work-around procedures for daily and monthly processing schedules and notifies operating elements and external customers of changes, delays, and cycle cancellations
- Coordinates the development and maintenance of standard personal computer database applications and provides technical guidance for the identification of system requirements and the revision of existing applications.
- Recommends system improvements and develops straight-forward data management applications when necessary.
- Provides technical guidance and support for various electronic commerce initiatives, any other programs or future technologies that may be developed.
- For vacancies filled at less than the full performance level of the position, duties will be developmental in nature.
- Occasional Travel
- The travel requirement for this position is 15% or less.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Permanent DFAS Agency Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment into Federal Service
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
GS-07: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-05) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized Experience at the GS-07 grade level: providing routine data analysis and automated financial systems support in support of an organization's finance mission. Examples of qualifying specialized experience at the GS-07 grade level: reviewing financial data, insuring that internal controls are in place to protect integrity and validity of data and financial systems; identifying operational problem conditions, discrepancies, identifying their source; and recommending the necessary course of action. GS-09: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-07) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized Experience at the GS-09 grade level: performing financial systems analysis in support of finance mission and applying knowledge of financial management principles as they relate to automated financial systems processing and operations. Examples of qualifying specialized experience at the GS-09 grade level: providing technical advice regarding financial system operating problems; reviewing and analyzing reports and systems output; assist in testing and evaluating financial systems to ensure they meet design and operating goals; providing financial systems knowledge to more senior specialists to help them carry out the finance mission. GS-11: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-09) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized Experience at the GS-11 grade level: Performing complex data analysis and evaluation of financial systems, policies, procedures, and regulations to ensure the continuity of a financial system's operations. Examples of qualifying specialized experience at the GS-11 grade level: providing substantial financial systems knowledge to leadership in order to assist with the financial mission; interpreting, developing, implementing and modifying policies for automated financial systems procedures and techniques; knowledge of generally accepted principles related to accounting, finance, and internal controls.
GS-07 (2-grade interval) Substitution of Education for Experience: One full year of graduate level education or Superior Academic Achievement (http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp) may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. GS-9 Substitution of Education for Experience: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education, Master's or equivalent graduate degree, may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. GS-11 Substitution of Education for Experience: Three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed higher-level graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. GS-7: Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-05 or higher grade in Federal Service. GS-9: Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-07 or higher grade in Federal Service. GS-11: Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-09 or higher grade in Federal Service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This is a noncritical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
What To Expect Next
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will notbe paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Non Exempt at the GS-7 and 9 level and Exempt at the GS-11 level from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is 15% or less.
- This position is covered by a bargaining unit.
- The selectee for this entry-level developmental position will participate in a formal developmental training program, with promotion opportunities, under the DFAS Leaders in Motion (LIM) Program. The purpose of this program is to develop well-qualified, well-trained, high potential employees for future positions and opportunities within DFAS. Additional information may be found at: http://www.dfas.mil/careers/howtoapply/vacancyannouncement.html
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
- This position may be filled as either a 1st, 2nd or 3rd Shift position and may require weekend and holiday work.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476795800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-24
Salary: $41,897 to $80,603 / GS-7 Minimum - $41,897 Maximum - $54,470; GS-9 Minimum - $51,248 Maximum $66,626; GS-11 Minimum - $62,005 Maximum $80,603
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 11
Series: 0501 Financial Administration And Program
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: CO-10037225-17
Control number: 476795800