Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (MH) (CCOPC) in Corpus Christi, Texas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Corpus Christi, TX
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/11/2016 (10 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (4 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1805426
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
VA TEXAS VALLEY COASTAL BEND HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
The VATVCBHCS is comprised of the Corpus Christi Outpatient Clinic (CCOPC), Corpus Christi Specialty Clinic (CCSC), Harlingen Outpatient Clinic (HOPC), Health Care Center at Harlingen (HCC), Laredo Outpatient Clinic (LOPC), and McAllen Outpatient Clinic (MCOPC). The VATVCBHCS is an ambulatory health care system providing health care in medicine, surgery, psychiatry, and rehabilitation medicine. The VATVCBHCS also operates a 100-patient Home Based Primary Care program and a 200-patient Care Coordination Home Tele-Health Program. Through the utilization of inpatient/emergency department contracts, approximately 2600 inpatient admission and 5800 ER visits are managed by VATVCBHCS. Affiliated with the University of Texas Regional Academic Health Campus, the system has an active ambulatory care program and serves as a teaching and training site for medical residents. The VATVCBHCS is responsible for an enrollee population of over 30,000 veterans and 350,000 outpatient visits annually.* *VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
RELOCATION EXPENSES AND/OR INCENTIVES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED
As a Registered Nurse (Mental Health) you will establish a therapeutic relationship with the acute and chronic mentally ill patients by focusing attention on the emotional and behavioral concerns through a mutually defined professional relationship; and provide brief supportive therapy for mental health patients and their families in the clinic setting.
- You will use the motivational interviewing nursing process and evidence-based practices to collaborate with the team (family/care giver, internal and community-based services involved in providing care to the patient) in developing the patient driven holistic care plan for life.
- You will triage, and perform a systematic psychiatric assessment which includes the total bio-psycho-social-legal needs of the patient and apply a collaborative team approach in identifying, analyzing, patient care problems and initiate appropriate interventions toward resolving patient care problems.
- You will provide indirect patient care in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, serve as a clinical resource expert, and function as an educator for the team and patients.
- You will function as a coordinator for the plan of care and monitor progress, intervening when necessary.
- As Registered Nurse (Mental Health) you will evaluate needs and facilitate the patient's ability to learn the principles of self-care, utilize appropriate resources, and understand the knowledge/skills needed for self-care.
- You will appropriately document own interventions in the computerized patient record system and complete and document secure messaging, as applicable.
- You will comply with all Mental Health Program policies and procedures.
- At least 3-5 years of Mental Health experience required.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 4:30 p.m.; Alternate schedules may be necessary to meet the needs of the organization. Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse (Mental Health)
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Registed Nursing Experience in Mental Health
- U.S. Citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
*Grade Determinations: *The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience. Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 0.5 hours); Pushing (up to 0.5 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Walking (up to 5.3 hours); Standing (up to 5.3 hours); Repeated bending (up to 5.3 hours).
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This position will be filled on a full-time permanent basis. Upon completing the 2-year probationary period, the position will be permanent.
Salary Range: $56,395.00 to $117,712.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: REGISTERED NURSES WITH MENTAL HEALTH EXPERIENCE
Control Number: 452729900
Job Announcement Number: VCB-16-KMS-1805426-BU