Indian Health Service Community Health Nurse (DHA) OC in Crownpoint, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Crownpoint, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 3/7/2016 (227 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (72 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-CR-1627915-ESEP/MP VA number; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
The incumbent will provide public health nursing services, utilizing knowledge of the three levels of prevention and the 17 Interventions of Public Health Nursing. This position will report to the Supervisory Community Health Nurse of the Public Health Nursing Department, Crownpoint Healthcare Facility, Crownpoint, New Mexico.
Monitors health status to identify community health problems, diagnosis and investigates health problems and health hazards.
- Conducts community analysis in partnership with community health representatives and in collaboration with other public health or health care professionals.
- Consults, advises and collaborates with individuals, families, communities, and locate, state and federal systems.
- Shares health information and collaborates with patients/families and other community resources.
- Assesses patient needs, develops plans of care, and consults with health care team members, i.e., case management with health care providers.
- Administers the therapeutic measures as prescribed by the health team.
- Participates in continuous evaluation of program and services and performance improvement.
- Evaluates outcomes of interventions to continually improve population-based care.
- 25% or Greater
- To community homes, schools and surrounding satellite clinics.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Licensure Requirement
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
NOTE: Candidates can apply within six (6) months of meeting the education and/or licensure requirements. However, evidence of meeting the requirements must be provided and verified prior to entrance on duty.
Applicants must have graduated from a baccalaureate (or higher) degree program in nursing which included the study of community health nursing concepts.
GS-7: Completion of a professional nursing program AND 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level, OR, one (1) full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-9: Applicants must have had 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level OR 2 years of professionally higher-level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree. GS-11: Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education, or applicants must have had 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level.
Evaluation of Professional Nurse Experience: Experience must have equipped the applicant with particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. Uses the nursing process to provide professional nursing care. Demonstrates the ability to provide community health intervention, public health education and nursing care. This experience may have been gained in hospitals, clinics, or community health care settings.
Evaluation of Education: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Your application will expire in 3 months and you will need to reapply to keep your application active
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Government Housing - upon availability
Recruitment or Relocation may be authorized. One year service agreement will be required.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Incumbent is required to drive a government vehicle and, therefore, required to maintain a valid state driver's license.
- Evening hours or after work hours or work weekend shift maybe required for some home visits, community work, communicable disease outreak or other medical emergencies.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $52,514.00 to $84,624.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-07/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 431771100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CR-1627857-DHA OC