Indian Health Service Nurse/Clinical Nurse (Ambulatory Care)-GS-610-4/5/7/9-DHA-OC in Crownpoint, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Crownpoint, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 2/9/2016 (259 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining lan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-CR-1623874-ESEP/MP VA number; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is located in the Division of Nursing Services, Ambulatory Care Nursing Department of the Crownpoint Healthcare Facility, Crownpoint, NM. Specifically this position is located in the Ambulatory Care Unit with possibility of assignments to field clinics. The purpose of this position is to perform limited nursing care services for ambulatory patients in the following clinics: Family Medicine, General Medicine, and Surgical, OB/GYN, Pediatrics and field clinics as needed. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse for Ambulatory Care Nursing.
- Performs nursing duties for the care of Ambulatory Care patients in various clinics and/or field clinics with a variety of injuries and illnesses. Performs comprehensive and professional nursing services for ambulatory patients in the following clinics: Family Medicine, General Medicine, WCC, Pediatrics, Diet, Diabetes, Prenatal-high risk OB, GYN and Women Health Clinic as well as walk in clients
- Interviews patients and family members during screening and consults with health care team members to determine kind of care needed and when needed.
- Observes and records temperature, pulse, blood pressure, respoiration data and effects of medication to insure quality care. Prepares patients for tests, exams and treatments.
Carries out treatments and other procedures required; administers medication; observes and documents patient's condition, changes, and reactions to medications, and medical treatment.
Triages and provides emergency treatment according to the status of patient and level of care needed at the Pueblo Pintado and/or Thoreau Clinics.
Provides counseling and teaching to patients and families or surrogates on preventive, curative and rehabilitative measures involved in health care.
Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of standards of care, Quality Assurance and Infection Control activities.
- Occasional Travel
- To surrounding satellite clinics, service units for meetings, trainings, etc.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Licensure Requirement
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
LICENSURE: Applicants will be required to verify they possess a current, valid, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth or Puerto Rico, or a Territory of the United States.
You must meet all of the BASIC REQUIREMENTS listed below:
Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
An active, unrestricted registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition to the above, you must also meet the following minimum requirements for the grade level you wish to be considered for:
GS-4:Completion of a program of less than 30 months duration OR associate degree OR 1 year of nursing experience as a military corpsman.
GS-5:Completion of a program of less than 30 months duration OR associate degree OR 1 year of professional nursing OR at least GS-4 level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of a professional nurse OR completion of a program of at least 30 months duration OR 4 academic years above high school OR bachelor's degree.
GS-7:Completion of a professional nursing program OR 1 year of experience equivalent to at least GS-5 level OR 1 full year of graduate education ORbachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-9: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. For example, specialized experience in identifying disease entities in order to recognize complications and therapeutic interventions required; in pharmaceuticals in order to recognize there desired effects, side effects and complications of their use; recognize adverse signs and symptoms which are not always apparent andto react promptly in emergency situations including the implementation of life saving procedures.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain Nursing clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least 6 month service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP):
The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC - http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepyament/
For HRSA - http://www/hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
This position has promotion potential to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at managements discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
Government Housing - Upon Availbility
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Alternative work schedule, call back, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $43,359.00 to $69,246.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-04/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 429227400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CR-1623635-DHA OC