Indian Health Service Pharmacist, DHA OC in Crownpoint, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Crownpoint, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 2/1/2016 (308 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (26 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-CR-1613575-ESEP/MP VA number; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located at the Crownpoint Healthcare Facility, Division of Clinical Services, Pharmacy Department, Crownpoint, New Mexico. Incumbent will serve as a professional Pharmacist performing direct patient care in the form of pharmaceutical services to inpatients and outpatients. Works under the general supervision of the Chief Pharmacist.
Performs outpatient pharmacy functions for the full range of pharmaceuticals provided in the medical facility which include controlled, investigational, highly potent, and other drugs requiring special handling.
- Reviews the prescription, patient medication profile, and patient record to determine appropriateness, safety and completeness of medication, authenticity of prescriber, possible drug interactions, history or likelihood of adverse reaction, and any special aspects or consideration in dispensing the prescribed pharmaceutical.
- Insures correct labeling handling, storage, and dispensing.
- Performs inpatient pharmacy servicecs and the preparation of the complete range of sterile products including parenteral solutions, enteral and parenteral nutrition, opthalmic preparations, and intravenous additives for the medical facility.
- Provides assistance to lower grade staff, oversees operations to insure adherence to professional standards, patient safeguards, applicable law and regulation, quality assurance requirements, administrative procedures, and general operating policies.
- Reports and documents medication errors, adverse reactions, and/or unusual circumstances.
- Conducts training of professional and non-professional staff on developments in drug therapy, rational therapeutics (i.e. advises on effectiveness and efficiency of various regimens and alternatives, and cost effective prescribing), and other topics as indicated.
- Occasional Travel
- To surrounding satellite clinics and service units for meetings, trainings, etc.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Licensure Requirement
- Medical Requirement - Applicants must be able to distinguish basic colors.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S):*Education:* Four-year bachelor's degree in pharmacy recognized by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education.
Licensure: Except for research positions that do not entail patient care, all applicants must be licensed to practice pharmacy in a State, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia.In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
For GS-9: Successful completion of a 5-year course of study leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in pharmacy from an approved pharmacy school, or 1 year of professional pharmacy experience equivalent to at least GS-7.
For GS-11: Successful completion of a 6-year course of study leading to a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree; 1 year of professional pharmacy experience equivalent to at least GS-9; or, for research positions, completion of all of the requirements for a master's or equivalent degree in a related scientific field.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks: Professional knowledge of the theories, practices, and techniques of clinical and basic pharmacy to provide direct patient services, knowledge of planning, monitoring and evaluation drug therapy in a clinical setting. Providing advice to patients regarding administering, storing and precautions of their medications. Communicate with health providers in regards to the total treatment of patients.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Your application will expire in 3 months and you will need to reapply to keep your application active.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
Promotion Potential to a GS-11, if selected at the GS-09.
Government Housing - upon availability.
Recruitment or Relocation may be authorized. One year service agreement will be required.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/For NHSC
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The incumbent works in a regularly assigned rotational or call back basis to provide continuity or patient care during evening, nights, holidays, and weekends.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,936.00 to $98,440.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0660-09/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 428312500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CR-1611778-DHA