Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Medical Support Assistant - Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) in Danville, Illinois
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
3 vacancies in the following locations:
- Danville, IL
- Mattoon, IL
- Springfield, IL
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 10/10/2016 (14 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (4 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1811520
This is an external job announcement. Current permanent VA Illiana Health Care System employees, current permanent VA employees from another facility, and current permanent employees from another Federal Agency MUST apply under the INTERNAL announcement, HI-16-DL-1796525-BUunless applying by using Veteran Preference. All applicants applying under this external announcement will be subject to Veterans' preference.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/. VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
The Advanced Medical Support Assistant (MSA) provides administrative support to varying levels of clinical staff within the Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). The incumbent coordinates with the patient care team to effectively support the needs of the patient and the clinic. The incumbent is an integral part of the team and is expected to participate in the provisions of high quality, customer-focused care to the patients. Assignments include but are not limited to:
- Accurate identification of patients using approved methods;
- Scheduling/cancelling/re-scheduling appointments;
- Consult management, assisting with Release of Information;
- Insurance card scanning;
- Processing provider orders, monitoring encounter completion and promoting registration;
- Utilization of MyHealtheVet (MHV) and performing in-person authentication for Veterans.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, Danville: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm; 7:45 am - 4:15 pm, Springfield & Mattoon: 7:45 am - 4:15 pm.
Functional Statement Title/#: Medical Support Assistant, Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT)
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement:Friday, October 28, 2016
- U.S. citizenship. Citizen of the United States.
- Education or Training: Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; or one year above high school; or equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
- Certification. None required.
- Physical Standards:See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
- English Language Proficiency: Advanced Medical Support Assistants appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English.
Grade Determinations:In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates.
GS-06 Advanced Medical Support Assistant:
Experience - One year of experience in clerical or office work that indicates the ability to aquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. Examples of specialized experience include but not limited to: Experience scheduling, canceling, rescheduling patient appointments, updating patient demographics, managing a wait list to verify and validate accuracy and resolve issues, and working with interdisciplinary teams to ensure high quality care for patients.
You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities based on your application for this position: Please make sure that each is addressed in detail in the body of your resume.
- Ability to collaborate, communicate, set priorities, and organize the work in order to meet deadlines, ensuring compliance with established processes, policies, and regulations. Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to meet program objectives. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational levels.
- Advanced knowledge of the technical health care process as it relates to access to care.
- Advanced knowledge of managing a clinic. This includes independently utilizing reference sources, decision making, and empowering the team to collaborate and resolve problems within a complex systems environment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with operational activities that affect the patient flow, patient care, and the revenue process.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology due to the technical nature of language utilized by clinicians.
*Preferred Experience: *Ability to type at least 40 wpm.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
References: VA Handbook 5005/53 June 7, 2012 Part II Appendix G45.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Light lifting, under 15 pounds, light carrying, under 15 pounds, Reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, both hands required, walking (up to .75 hours), standing (up to .5 hours), hearing (aid permitted).
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
Probationary Period: You may be required to complete a one year probationary period.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Actions to fill this position will not be based on discriminatory factors such as sex, race, color, national origin, lawful political affiliation, marital status, physical handicap, age, gender identity, or expression, which are prohibited by law.
Reasonable Accommodations: Department of Veterans Affairs provides reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodations for any part of the applicant and hiring process, please notify Ms. Debbie Lewis, Selective Placement Coordinator at (217) 554-5969. Reasonable accommodation decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.
Telework: VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $36,025.00 to $46,831.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0679-06/06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 451684900
Job Announcement Number: HI-16-DL-1811520-BU