University of Denver Computer Operator - University Technology Services in Denver, Colorado
University Technology Services (UTS) works to support the vision, values, mission, and goals of the University through a strong supportive infrastructure that connects DU communities and helps DU faculty, staff, and students with technology services. The UTS Computer Operations department is responsible for all systems, hardware, software, and datacenter infrastructure that provides data and application services to the entire campus. This includes but is not limited to physical servers, operating systems, SAN’s, virtual server infrastructure, software applications, utilities, networking, and data center infrastructure (power, cooling).
UTS is currently searching to fill two (2) part-time Computer Operator positions. The Computer Operator is responsible for power, cooling, electrical, and environmental monitoring in all three datacenters on campus, in addition to ensuring that campus-wide Public Printing (student printing) services, including printers and print release stations, are in working order. The Computer Operator also serves as an emergency escalation point to Systems Engineers in Computer Operations and other departments.
- Monitor and maintain datacenter infrastructure such as UPS’s, A/C units, leak detection units, generators, transfer switches, smoke detection and fire suppression systems.
- Monitor and maintain campus public print infrastructure, such as printers, print release stations and card swipes.
- Place paper and toner orders weekly, and pick-up and deliver consumables to the different buildings on campus that house public printing.
- Coordinate reactive and preventative work with business partners on datacenter infrastructure.
- Coordinate and actively track equipment being decommissioned and prep for technology recycling.
- Assist Systems Engineers with racking and unracking equipment.
- Answer escalation calls and tickets from the help desk and coordinate with Systems Engineers to resolve service outages.
- Coordinate personnel door codes for three datacenters and the UTS building.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal communication and service skills when dealing with both technical and non-technical people.
- Ability to work with other Systems Engineers and clients/customers on small and larger projects.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and completely.
- Ability to prioritize projects according to customer and university needs with minimal or no direction.
- Ability to be trained and retain knowledge about datacenter infrastructure.
- Ability to transport up to 50 pounds of equipment on a regular basis.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Possess a clear Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- At least 2 years’ experience operating in a datacenter NOC.
- At least 2 years’ experience with FAAST smoke detection systems and FM200 fire suppression systems.
- At least 2 years’ experience with EATON Powerware UPS systems.
- At least 2 years’ experience with Liebert A/C systems.
- At least 2 years’ experience with large scale Generac generators and transfer switches.
- At least 2 years’ experience with Starline power systems.
- Familiarity with HP printers.
This is a part-time position working either Sunday – Thursday from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm, or Tuesday – Saturday from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by* Monday, October 24, 2016*.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Offer of employment is based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check and Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
Department: UTS-Service Operations
Position Type: Part-Time
Salary: 18.93 - 27.08 USD