Colorado Department of Transportation LTC Trainee V (Denver Metro Bridge) in Denver, Colorado
This position is only open to Colorado state residents.
About CDOT Are you looking for a challenge? Do you have a passion for helping people? Do you want to be part of a diverse team that is committed to making the transportation system in Colorado safe and efficient? Then, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) is the place for you! CDOT is devoted to incorporating technology, providing equal employment opportunities, developing leaders, and improving systems in order to provide outstanding customer service. By providing Freedom, Connection and Experience through travel, CDOT is committed to becoming the number #1 Department of Transportation in the country. In working towards this goal, we believe every one of our employees plays a critical role. CDOT's core values include safety, people, integrity, customer service, excellence and respect. Please visit https://www.codot.gov/ to learn about CDOT and how we are making Colorado a great place to live, work and play, now and for the future!
In addition to a fantastic place to work CDOT offers a variety of benefits which include:
- Annual leave (accrued based on years of service, starting at 8 hours a month)
- Sick leave accrued at 6.66 hours a month
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Medical and dental plans
- State paid life insurance policy of $50,000
- Choice of 2 retirement plans
- 401K and 457 plans
- State paid Short Term Disability coverage
- Credit Union Membership
- Work life programs
- Free RTD EcoPass
- Tuition reimbursement programs
- Training To learn more about our benefits visit: https://www.colorado.gov/dhr/benefits
#LI-POST Description of Job
This position is an entry level training position to become a fully operational Transportation Maintenance Worker I. These positions will receive top notch training from our professional Maintenance Department Staff in roadside, facility, traffic, bridge, and equipment maintenance as well as training in the operation of snow removal equipment. This particular position is on the Denver Metro Bridge crew so additional duties such as learning to assist in bridge and structure maintenance and learning to repair bridge structure devices, safety rails and components of the structural elements of the associated equipment, attachments and parts will be expected. This position will also work under the guidance and supervision of a lead worker to perform these additional following transportation maintenance worker duties:
Heavy Construction/Physical Labor:
- Haul and spread sand, gravel, concrete, asphalt and clay to fill washouts, roadway cracks and repair road shoulders;
- Inspect, clean, and repair drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures;
- Install and/or repair guardrails, road shoulders, berms, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools;
- Remove litter, hazardous objects and debris from roadways, such as rock, mud and/or deceased animals;
- Cut grass, dig ditches, empty litter barrels, pick up trash;
- Assist in signing and striping highways, such as maintaining pavement markings and re-installing traffic signage;
- Respond to emergencies by following prescribed procedures such as stopping or slowing traffic, operating emergency vehicles, etc.;
- Set out signs and cones for "traffic control safe zones" around work areas to divert traffic;
- Graffiti control, sand blasting, remove paint over walls, bridges and signs and using pressure washers, airless paint sprayers;
Other duties as assigned. Heavy Equipment Operation:
Drive trucks or tractors with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mow grass and weeds;
- Minor maintenance and repair of equipment;
- Snow plow and ice removal at all hours to keep roadways clear and safe;
Other duties as assigned. Work Environment:
Exposure to load noise
- Exposure to fumes, odors, gasses, dusts, etc. that may affect breathing, eyes and skin
- Required to use appropriate personal protective equipment as appropriate
- Required to work with chemicals and cleaning products
- Some equipment requires the use of respirators
- Work in close proximity to heavy traffic
- Use of ladders and scissor lifts for heights of approximately 10 – 20'
- Required to drive CDOT vehicles
- Some of the positions are NIGHTS ONLY and others are WEEKEND positions
- Frequently responds to emergencies outsider regular work hours and may work overtime including weekends and holidays
- Must be willing and be physically able to work in extreme temperatures (hot and cold), variable weather conditions, and at varying elevations up to 12,000 feet for long periods of time Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
This experience must be specifically documented on your application. Additional information submitted after the closing date of this announcement will not be considered in the review of your application.
- One year that may include a combination of heavy construction labor experience (construction trade), heavy equipment operation, and/or farming equipment use.
- Possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver's License;
- Must be able to obtain a Class A or B CDL Permit within 90 days of hire;
Must be able to obtain a Colorado Commercial Driver's License within 1 year from hirewith appropriate DOT Medical Card and endorsements (e.g. Tanker, HazMat, Air Brakes) as a condition of employment. *NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: *
Must live with twenty (20) miles of where the workstation and /or equipment are located. This is necessary in order to report for emergency work within thirty (30) minutes driving time under adverse weather conditions, after notified to report to work. Knowledge of an emergency or hazardous condition may be considered to be notification to report to work station.
- Must be willing to respond to emergencies outside regular work hours and work overtime including weekends and holidays.
- Must be willing and be physically able to work in extreme temperatures and weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Must provide the supervisor with a telephone number where he/she can be reached for the purpose of responding to an emergency.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions in English. Stronger candidates will be those that demonstrate depth and breadth of skill and ability, through a combination of professional experience and formal training, to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
The* Exceptional Applicant*will possess the proven ability or accomplishment in the following:
- Demonstrated success with the duties listed in the Description of the Job section;
- Highest work/personal ethics and integrity;
- Ability to pay attention to detail, being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks;
- Skill in both a construction trade and heavy equipment operation;
- Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong out in the field;
- Capability in maintenance field work, such as concrete, asphalt, landscaping and working in outdoor setting;
- This position may require a flexible work schedule including third shift and weekend work if necessary;
- Excellent listening skills and an ability to follow multi-step directions with attention to detail;
- Provide customer service that is mutually acceptable to job order and customer while still being efficient with time management;
- Problem solve task – know when to go to lead worker and supervisors with questions or concerns;
- Prioritize with tasks within a job;
- Interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Strong attention to technical detail and accuracy;
- Passion for safety;
- Ability to work effectively in both independent and team situations;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access), Gmail, and SAP, and the ability to quickly learn other software systems. Employment Screening
If an applicant reaches the finalist stage of the hiring process, the Colorado Department of Transportation may procure a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report on the applicant in connection with his/her application for employment purposes, as defined under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. These reports may be obtained at any time after receipt of the applicant's authorization. As part of the employment screening an applicant will be requested to disclose any differed judgments and convictions as well an explanation of the circumstances around any arrest or conviction. In the event that a screening returns information that the applicant believes is not accurate, he or she will have an opportunity to dispute the information with "TC logiQ".
The report may contain information bearing on the applicant's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living. The information that may be included in the report includes: social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records checks, education records, and driving records checks. CDOT will only request credit reports insofar as they relate to the position for which the applicant is applying. The information contained in the report will be obtained from private and/or public record sources. The applicant will have the right, upon written request made within a reasonable time after receipt of a notice, to request disclosure of the nature and scope of any investigative consumer report. Supplemental Information
Applicant Checklist: Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this announcement will be given consideration. Immediately after you submit your application you should receive an email that confirms that you successfully submitted an application for this position. If you do not, try submitting again until you receive the confirmation email. Be sure to also check your junk folder for email communications from the State of Colorado's website.
Complete Applications must include the following documents: 1) A complete CDOT Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the link in this announcement) 2) A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (must submit online as part of your application)
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application, but may be used to supplement information to the application. Failure to submit properly completed documents by the closing date of this announcement may result in your application being rejected.
Former employees of the Colorado Department of Transportation System or any other State of Colorado Department or Agency, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information on his/her application.
Transfer, Non-Disciplinary Demotion or Reinstatement: If you believe that you are eligible to be considered as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement to this vacancy, you must submit a completed application following the directions in this job announcement and you will be included in the selection process along with other qualified applicants. If you are the finalist for this position after the selection process, Human Resources will confirm your eligibility to be appointed as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement applicant.
*The Assessment Process: *Colorado Revised Statutes require that all state employees be hired and promoted through comparative analysis of merit and fitness. Part or all of the assessment for this position will include a review of your application material. Applications will be reviewed by a Human Resource Specialist and/or Subject Matter Experts to determine if you meet the minimum requirements for the position. They may also use the application material to assess and rank applicants who meet the minimum requirements, to cut to a top group for additional assessment, or establish an eligible list for referral to the hiring manager for final consideration.
Be sure your application material specifically addresses your qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments as they relate to the Major Duties, Education and Experience Requirements, and Exceptional Applicant sections as listed above. Upload additional pages if necessary to fully explain your experience and accomplishments. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions by the deadline for application may result in your application not being accepted for this position and may affect your inclusion as a qualified candidate in any of step of the selection process and placement on the eligible list.
Appeal Rights:If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.
Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
The Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb/forms-2 . Any appeals must be in writing and received no later than 10 calendar days from the date the examination was administered. Send appeals to the appropriate address as indicated on the Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form. The above ten-day deadline and appeal procedures apply, as well, to all charges of discrimination.
ADA Accommodations: To request an accommodation, please contact the Center for Human Resource Management at (303)757-9216 or the contact listed on this announcement as soon as possible to be timely for the assessment process. Any person with a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to participate in the hiring process. The person making the request may be asked to provide additional information regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed which will be kept confidential. Advance preparation may be required so requests for accommodation need to be timely for each part of the assessment.
YOU MUST BE A RESIDENT OF COLORADO TO APPLY. CDOT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO ASSEMBLING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.
TDD (SAP #50000474/PCR #17790)
Salary: $2,255.00 - $3,207.00 Monthly $2,255.00 - $3,207.00 Monthly
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: HAA-50000474-10/16
Location: Denver, CO
Department: Department of Transportation
Closing: 10/28/2016 11:59 PM Mountain
Agency: State of Colorado
Address: See the full announcement by clicking the "Printer" icon located above the job title Location varies by announcement, Colorado, --.