Colorado Department of Transportation Professional Engineer I- (Durango) in Durango, Colorado
About CDOT Are you looking for a challenge? Do you have a passion for helping people? Do you want to be part of a diverse team that is committed to making the transportation system in Colorado safe and efficient? Then, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) is the place for you! CDOT is devoted to incorporating technology, providing equal employment opportunities, developing leaders, and improving systems in order to provide outstanding customer service. By providing Freedom, Connection and Experience through travel, CDOT is committed to becoming the number #1 Department of Transportation in the country. In working towards this goal, we believe every one of our employees plays a critical role. CDOT's core values include safety, people, integrity, customer service, excellence and respect. Please visit https://www.codot.gov/ to learn about CDOT and how we are making Colorado a great place to live, work and play, now and for the future!
In addition to a fantastic place to work CDOT offers a variety of benefits which include:
- Annual leave (accrued based on years of service, starting at 8 hours a month)
- Sick leave accrued at 6.66 hours a month
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Medical and dental plans
- State paid life insurance policy of $50,000
- Choice of 2 retirement plans
- 401K and 457 plans
- State paid Short Term Disability coverage
- Credit Union Membership
- Work life programs
- Tuition reimbursement programs
- Training To learn more about our benefits visit: https://www.colorado.gov/dhr/benefits
Description of Job
The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) is hiring a Professional Engineer in Region 5 located in Durango. This position will perform as the project engineer and senior administrator on pre-construction projects. The position is responsible for engineering designs, timely completion of paperwork and the administration of the contract documents. This position will oversee the production of roadway plans for construction using professional knowledge and judgment. Work includes, but is not limited to, preliminary scoping and final design alternatives/concepts and make recommendations based on professional engineering judgment. The position utilizes the Professional Engineering license to stamp and approve designs for assigned projects.
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Analyze and design alignments and grades for a highway project, taking into consideration design criteria, existing terrain, existing Right-ofWay, drainage, maximum design speed, maximum degree of curvature, maximum grades, stopping sight distance, etc.
- Complete analysis and design hydraulic structures within Region 5, working with engineers, designers and Maintenance staff within Region 5.
- Utilize complex computer software used in the civil engineering field to prepare construction plans. This includes incorporating plans from other engineering disciplines that may be involved in the project; such as Bridge, Traffic, Materials, Geotech, consultants and other specialty units.
- Responsible for making sure plans are complete, clear, concise and insure that the final product is constructable and meets all design criteria that are appropriate to the project.
- Prepare the specifications utilizing MicroSoft Word. This includes incorporating all the appropriate Standard Specifications and Project Specifications for all items required and cover al the requirements of FHWA and other involved agencies.
- Quantifies and documents materials and work that is required to construct the highway project.
- Attend meetings as required for the design process for all phases of the project.
- Confers with outside agencies (i.e. cities, counties, US Forest Service, Utility Companies) to resolve conflicts and concerns in the design phase of a project. Review and provide direction on Consultant design and projects designed by other CDOT employees and governmental agencies.
- Reading, comprehending, responding and filing of project correspondence. Making sure all project milestones are being taken care of.
- Use professional knowledge and judgment in directing consultants and advising others in the work unit regarding the design and construction of projects.
Other duties as assigned. Work Environment:
Primarily 8:00 am – 5:00 pm work hours, Monday-Friday
- Approximately 10% spent in the field, 90% spent in the office
- Travel required during work hours throughout region 5
- Occasional overnight travel 1-3 times a year throughout Colorado
- Required to operate CDOT vehicles Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
This experience must be specifically documented on your application. Additional information submitted after the closing date of this announcement will not be considered in the review of your application.
- Current registration at a Professional Engineer issued or recognized as equivalent by the Colorado Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors. You must provide your PE License number on your application.
- A current valid driver's license is required for this position as it requires operating a state or personal motor vehicle to perform one or more essential functions of the position. Stronger candidates will be those that demonstrate depth and breadth of skill and ability, through a combination of professional experience and formal training, to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
The *Exceptional Applicant *will be a licensed engineer dedicated to pursuing a career in transportation engineering and will possess the proven ability or accomplishment in the following:
- Demonstrated success with the duties listed in the Description of the Job section;
- Civil engineering design and construction knowledge and experience;
- Working knowledge of engineering processes, theories, laws, principles, conceptual models, and best practices;
- A history of ensuring compliance with all applicable policies, laws, rules and regulations;
- Transportation project management experience, including the ability to successfully plan, organize, and manage multiple, concurrent projects or tasks of varying complexities;
- Experience managing budgets to ensure projects or programs are cost effective;
- Knowledge of the MUTCD;
- Knowledge of CDOT standards and specifications;
- Construction management experience;
- Consultant/contract management experience;
- Experience working with multiple and diverse stakeholders, with sensitivity to their needs and priorities;
- Proven ability to manage multiple assignments, priorities, and projects in a demanding environment;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and be adaptable to changing assignments;
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems in an innovative manner;
- Negotiating mutually acceptable solutions; building consensus through give and take;
- Interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Strong time and project management skills, including prioritization and multi-tasking ability;
- Excellent reasoning, analytical, and problem solving ability;
- Strong facilitation, presentation, and communication skills, both written and oral;
- Strong attention to technical detail and accuracy;
- Commitment to safety;
- Ability to work effectively in both independent and team situations;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access), Gmail, SAP, MS Project, and the ability to quickly learn other software systems. Employment Screening If an applicant reaches the finalist stage of the hiring process, the Colorado Department of Transportation may procure a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report on the applicant in connection with his/her application for employment purposes, as defined under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. These reports may be obtained at any time after receipt of the applicant's authorization. As part of the employment screening an applicant will be requested to disclose any differed judgments and convictions as well an explanation of the circumstances around any arrest or conviction. In the event that a screening returns information that the applicant believes is not accurate, he or she will have an opportunity to dispute the information with "TC logiQ".
The report may contain information bearing on the applicant's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living. The information that may be included in the report includes: social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records checks, education records, and driving records checks. CDOT will only request credit reports insofar as they relate to the position for which the applicant is applying. The information contained in the report will be obtained from private and/or public record sources. The applicant will have the right, upon written request made within a reasonable time after receipt of a notice, to request disclosure of the nature and scope of any investigative consumer report. Supplemental Information
Applicant Checklist: Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this announcement will be given consideration. Immediately after you submit your application you should receive an email that confirms that you successfully submitted an application for this position. If you do not, try submitting again until you receive the confirmation email. Be sure to also check your junk folder for email communications from the State of Colorado's website. Complete Applications must include the following documents: 1) A complete CDOT Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the link in this announcement) 2) A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (must submit online as part of your application) 3) Detailed, Chronological Resume (please attach to your online application or you may email it to firstname.lastname@example.org) 5) A Cover Letter (please attach to your online application or you may email it to email@example.com)
Requirements for the resume: Please upload your resume as an attachment in the "attachment" section within your online application or you may email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label all pages with your full name. The resume limit is 2 pages with at least 11-point font and 1/2 inch margins. Your resume should contain the following information:
- Education and Training
- Work Experience should be listed in reverse chronological order, beginning with your most recent experience, and must include:
- Beginning and ending dates of assignments, including promotion dates
- Official position title/working title, including specialty area or unit, you held within the organization/company
- The name of the organization or company
- A brief description of your job duties
Requirements for the cover letter: Please upload your cover letter as an attachment in the "attachment" section within your online application or you may email to email@example.com. Please label all pages with your full name. The cover letter limit is 2 pages with at least 11-point font and 1/2 inch margins. The education, experience, abilities, and accomplishments listed in this announcement have been identified as critical to successful performance in this position. Your cover letter should address your interest in and qualifications for this job with CDOT. Please be specific and detailed in describing experience, abilities, and accomplishments as they relate to this position's requirements and major duties as described in the announcement.
Only complete applications will be given consideration. Every effort must be made to submit transcripts by the announcement close date. Where unusual circumstances prevent timely acquisition of transcripts, they must be submitted within five business days of the announcement close date.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application, but may be used to supplement information to the application. Failure to submit properly completed documents by the closing date of this announcement will result in your application being rejected.
Former employees of the Colorado Department of Transportation System or any other State of Colorado Department or Agency, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information on his/her application.
Transfer, Non-Disciplinary Demotion or Reinstatement: If you believe that you are eligible to be considered as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement to this vacancy, you must submit a completed application following the directions in this job announcement and you will be included in the selection process along with other qualified applicants. If you are the finalist for this position after the selection process, Human Resources will confirm your eligibility to be appointed as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement applicant.
*The Assessment Process: *Colorado Revised Statutes require that all state employees be hired and promoted through comparative analysis of merit and fitness. Part or all of the assessment for this position will include a review of your application material. Applications will be reviewed by a Human Resource Specialist and/or Subject Matter Experts to determine if you meet the minimum requirements for the position. They may also use the application material to assess and rank applicants who meet the minimum requirements, to cut to a top group for additional assessment, or establish an eligible list for referral to the hiring manager for final consideration.
Be sure your application material specifically addresses your qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments as they relate to the Major Duties, Education and Experience Requirements, and Exceptional Applicant sections as listed above. Upload additional pages if necessary to fully explain your experience and accomplishments. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions by the deadline for application may result in your application not being accepted for this position and may affect your inclusion as a qualified candidate in any of step of the selection process and placement on the eligible list.
Appeal Rights:If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.
Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
The Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb/forms-2 . Any appeals must be in writing and received no later than 10 calendar days from the date the examination was administered. Send appeals to the appropriate address as indicated on the Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form. The above ten-day deadline and appeal procedures apply, as well, to all charges of discrimination.
ADA Accommodations: Any person with a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To receive the accommodation, the person making the request must present medical documentation that describes the disability which justifies the accommodation. Because it requires several days for CDOT to evaluate the request and prepare for the accommodation, it is essential for the person who believes he/she may need an accommodation to locate or obtain the documentation that he/she intends to submit well in advance of the assessment date. Failure to provide the medical documentation several days in advance of a comparative analysis could make it impossible for CDOT to prepare for and provide the requested accommodation.
To request a reasonable test accommodation for this assessment, please contact the Center for Human Resource Management at (303)757-9216 or the contact listed on this announcement several days before the assessment date.
CDOT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO ASSEMBLING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.
MMV(SAP #50004333/PCR #17932)
Salary: $5,945.00 - $9,012.00 Monthly $5,945.00 - $9,012.00 Monthly
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: HAA-50004333-10/16
Location: Durango, CO
Department: Department of Transportation
Closing: 11/1/2016 11:59 PM Mountain
Agency: State of Colorado
Address: See the full announcement by clicking the "Printer" icon located above the job title Location varies by announcement, Colorado, --.