Indian Health Service Physician Assistant in Eagle Butte, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Eagle Butte, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 2/9/2016 (256 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1618236-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: You may apply separately for each announcement if you want to be considered under each hiring plan.
This position is located at the Eagle Butte Health Center in Eagle Butte, South Dakota in the Medical Staff Section of the Indian Health Service. The purpose of this position is to provide direct and comprehensive primary, preventative and therapeutic medical care to individuals across the lifespan.
Exceptional recruiting difficulty may result in payment of a recruitment or relocation incentive/bonus.
Performs the following routine therapeutic procedures: injections, immunizations, debridement; suture of superficial wounds, debridement of minor superficial burns, removal of foreign bodies from the external surface of the skin, removal of sutures, removal of impacted ceruman, subcutaneous local anesthesia, including any nerve blocks, strapping, casting and splinting of sprains and the stable fractures, anterior nasal packing for epitasis, removal of cast, incision and drainage of superficial skin infections, destruction of superficial skin lesions with liquid nitorgen or electrical fulguration, injection of trigger points and non-weight bearing joints with anesthetic/steroid, and perform punch and excisional biopsies. Performs minor surgical and invasive procedures Documents data, patient assessment and care plan in acceptable form in medical records. Collaborates with other health care professionals to develop treatment protocols, standards of practices and policies.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- A current, valid, unrestricted professional certificate must be maintained.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
All applicants must meet the following basic requirements for all grade levels: Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee of Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accreditiing body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education. Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
GS-12 and above (or equivalent): A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the next lower grade level and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program is required.
Spec Experience: Experience in the observation and examination procedures. Experience performing diagnostic and therapeutic tasks. Experience interpreting medical findings. Experience making diagnosis and decision concerning medical needs of patients, formulating and implementing a plan of care involving various treatment modalities. Experience documenting patient data and assessment information in the acceptable appropriate manner. Experience performing minor surgical and invasive medical procedures.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- Subject to Rotational/Holidays/Weekends/Night shifts.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $78,661.00 to $97,291.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0603-12/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: "ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN"
Control Number: 429162700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1623504-DE