Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician Assistant (Pre-Admission Testing) in East Orange, New Jersey
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- East Orange, NJ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (10 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 11/4/2016 (8 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1825641
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
For more information on the Who may apply eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
The Pre-Admission Testing (PAT) Physician Assistant (PA) demonstrates experience and creative approaches in delivering and improving holistic care through collaborative strategies with others. The PA is self-directed in goal setting for managing complex patient situations. The PA is accountable for adhering to established policies and standards of care and practice. The PA provides and directs care for patients generally ranging in age from 18 through the geriatric years taking into consideration diagnoses and physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and cultural needs. The NP will assure that the Surgical Service patients proceed through the Ambulatory Surgery Process from pre-operative evaluations through the post-procedure disposition of patients and review pre-operative requests and patients' charts for completeness of pre-operative work-ups before these patients are scheduled for the operating room. Additionally, He or She:
- Performs histories and physicals on patients scheduled for surgery.
- Orders additional testing as needed in consultation with Perioperative Coordinator, surgeons and
- Coordinates pre-anesthesia evaluations and consents by anesthesiologist/CRNA.
- Communicates with OR scheduling for clarification of unique procedures, protocols, and inventory
descriptions to facilitate the scheduling process.
Work Schedule: Full Time, Monday-Friday, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician Assistant/0000
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required.
- Background and/or security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Education/Licensure/Certification required
- U.S. Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education. The candidate must meet the following: (1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and (2) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Certification (1) Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA. (2) Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5. (3) If a PA's NCCPA certification is suspended, revoked or expires, the PA must be removed from the occupation which may result in termination of employment. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g.,professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student;social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/78, Part II, Appendix G-8 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT QUALIFICATION STANDARD. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Preferred Experience: Operating room and/or Pre-Admission Testing experience preferred.
* Note:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: see VA Handbook 5005, Part III, Chapter 2, paragraph 7 and VA Handbook 5019, Occupational Health Services at http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5019.doc. All applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform efficiently the duties of the position. The population of male and female veterans served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65 and over. VANJHCS is an interdisciplinary teaching facility, serving medical, surgical, mental health, and long-term care inpatients and outpatients. This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp .
* Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave:* Federal Employees earn annual leave at arate (4, 6, or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of yearst hey have served as a Federal employee.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status
Salary Range: $55,327.00 to $124,037.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0603-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453411100
Job Announcement Number: BH-17-JM-1825641-BU