George Mason University Information Technology Specialist II in Fairfax, Virginia
George Mason University Network Operations—within Information Technology Services (ITS), located on the Fairfax, Va. campus—is seeking a highly motivated Network Engineer to assist with maintenance and support of a large multicampus network. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position is responsible for installation, support, and maintenance of hardware and software infrastructure according to best practices, including routers, aggregators, switches and Wi-Fi controllers; and assisting with firewalls and VPN creation on all Mason campuses.
- Technical training in computers and networking technology, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of data networking, telecommunications and transmission technologies, including network architectures, topologies, protocols and interfaces;
- Knowledge of Ethernet and Switches, VLANs, telecom cabling, wireless access points, and common network devices;
- Knowledge of TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol,) Microsoft Networking, and other network protocols;
- Knowledge of different types of network security devices, design/roles, and configuration/deployment; and
- Experience working with switches and wireless access points, including configuration setup from beginning to end.
- Extensive, successful experience interacting with both coworkers and customers;
- Knowledge of design and operation of Broadband/Video/Voice devices and test equipment;
- Ability to identify and remedy network security problems using both GUI (graphical user interface) and CLI (command-line interface) environment from multiple vendors;
- Ability to diagnose data communications problems with wired and wireless networks, and assess impact of new voice/data applications on network performance using specialized tools, test equipment and software utilities; and
- Cisco or Network certifications and training are highly desired.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
George Mason University is a great place to work where employees are appreciated and given an opportunity to develop skills and expand your horizons. Mason offers tuition waivers; telecommuting and flextime schedules; and the campus environment is dynamic, ethnically and culturally diverse.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01674z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by October 31, 2016; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information to include e-mail address and contact number.
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Department: Information Technology Services (ITS)
Alternate Department Description: NET-Network Operations
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check: No
Restricted Position?: No, is eligible for layoff or severance benefits.
Job Category: Classified Staff
Role (State) Job Title: Information Technology Specialist II
Working Title: Network Engineer
Job Type: Full-Time
Position Number: 01674z
Recruit Number: Staff - 7871
Working Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Pay Band: Payband 5
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Posting Date: 10/18/2016
Job Close Date: 10/31/2016
Open Until Filled?: No
Telework Friendly?: Yes
Equity Statement: George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Campus Safety Information: Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/