Smithsonian Institution Visual Information Specialist (Graphics) in FEW vacancies New York, New York
- FEW vacancies - New York, NY
Work Schedule is Intermittent, Temporary NTE 1 Year. The employee will be paid based on the number of hours worked. - Federal
Opened Friday 9/30/2016 (20 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (8 day(s) away)
About the Agency
This position is located in the Exhibitions & Graphics Department, National Museum of the American Indian-NY (NMAI-NY), Smithsonian Institution. The employee provides creative and technical support to that department.
- Designs layout, presentation, graphic design work, and cost estimates for exhibits and graphic projects such as title signs, title graphics, text panels, labels, directional signage, exterior signs, banners, as well as printed materials such as posters, flyers, brochures and catalogues.
- Plans, organizes and implements art production work for the graphic components of exhibition projects to include research, creating scaled drawings and presentations, selecting graphic elements, type specifying, copy fitting designs and layout, and determining materials and methods to be used.
- Provides graphic support using graphic design support equipment such as Apple Macintosh computers, scanner, printers, external hard drives, vinyl cutter and drymount press.
- Produces advisements, maintain and update all George Gustav Heye Center (GGHC) directional and public programming signage. This includes installing or directing installation of these graphic elements according to designs determined by the incumbent or by others.
- Not Required
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
Experience:You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined asexperience using graphic design support equipment to plan and design graphic elements such as graphic presentation of exhibit text and associated assets, posters, signage, banners, and other visual products.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree
LL.M., if related
Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Graduate Education: Major study -- commercial art, fine arts, art history, industrial design, architecture, drafting, interior design, photography, visual communication, or other fields related to the position. Some positions may also require subject-matter knowledge of medicine, science, or technical equipment.
Advanced training in a vocational school, technical institute, or art institute above the high school level in one of the fields listed above is creditable as general experience on a month-for-month basis.
One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement.
Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
At the end of the application process you will be able to create and save a PDF file that contains your responses to the assessment questions. You may save this file as initial receipt of your application. After the job announcement closes, you will receive an email from the Smithsonian with confirmation of receipt. The Smithsonian receives many applications for each job. Each application is reviewed carefully which may take a few weeks. We will send you an e-mail to update you as we go through phases of the application review process. You may also check your application status by logging into www.usajobs.gov and selecting the tab "My USAJOBS;" e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or by contacting the Office of Human Resources Representative listed. Additional Information:
- Tips on applying for Smithsonian jobs are available at www.sihr.si.edu/jobs.cfm.
- The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
- The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema).
Review our benefits
Salary Range: $66,940.00 to $87,021.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-1084-11/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities may also apply to Job Announcement #16R-JC-301968-MPA-NMAI. More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
Control Number: 452025700
Job Announcement Number: 16R-JC-301968-DEU-NMAI