Indian Health Service Nurse Specialist (Diabetes Case Manager) (Direct Hire) (FY9601) in Fort Yates, North Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Fort Yates, ND
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 10/12/2016 (10 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (3 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: This position is located at the Standing Rock Service Unit (SRSU), SDPI Health Heart Program. The purpose of this position is to identify eligible individuals with diabetes, recruiting individuals to participate, and providing outpatient education and case management to persons with diabetes who receive their care at the SRSU. A major component of the case management aspect of this position is assuring that all attempts are made to treat CVD risk factors to target levels through the use of both medication and behavioral change. Other duties include assisting with the planning and implementation of community based diabetes prevention activities.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R1-GP-1805703-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
- Provides primary consultation to ITU diabetes teams and health care providers on policies, organization, and implementation of diabetes services
- Serves as focal point for responding to technical and programmatic correspondence from the Special Diabetes Program (SDPI) grantee.
- Prepares annual grant renewal applications, semi-annual reports, final reports, financial status reports.
- Assesses plans, develops, implements and evaluates quality diabetes care for the Servicing Diabetes SDPI Area.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.) AND Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained. AND
Evaluation of Experience Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position GS-09: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree.
Specialized Experience: Experience identifying eligible individuals with diabetes, recruiting individuals to participate and provide out patient education and case management to persons with diabetes. Experience using case management techniques to monitor education and clinical interventions for patients. Experience training and teaching staff and patients on the education and treatment strategies and other topics related to diabetes care and prevention. Experience assisting diabetics patients with establishing goals and plans for behavior change in relation to diabetes. Experience tracking all clinical visits, specified laboratory values and dosages of mediations prescribed and administered in accordance with demonstrated project protocol. Experience conducting case management on diabetic patients.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment. You may apply separately for each announcement if you want to be considered under each hiring plan.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $69,936.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/09
Promotion Potential: 9
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: "ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN"
Control Number: 453149000
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GP-1806087-DHA