IDC Research Director, Application Development and DevOps in Framingham, Massachusetts
IDC is the largest, most experienced and fastest growing IT research firm in the market. Fortune 1000 CIO’s and IT leaders across industries rely on IDC’s actionable insight every day to save time, money, mitigate risk and drive revenues by making informed decisions more quickly.
The Research Director is responsible for researching, writing and advising clients on the fast-evolving DevOps market. An individual well suited for this position would be familiar with topics such as rapid enterprise application development, modern microservice based packaging and automated deployment and lifecycle/management strategies including an understanding of how the move to DevOps methodologies impacts enterprise use of open source and preferences for using on premise computing and development platforms vs public cloud services such as Amazon, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform. This position requires having a solid working understanding of developer trends and their impact on data center infrastructure and operational strategies.
- Technology Analysis: Serves as IDC’s subject matter expert as it pertains to DevOps market development, forecasting and vendor strategies with an emphasis on enterprise cloud native and digital transformation development priorities, open source projects, infrastructure requirements, and public cloud usage patterns and preferences. This would include addressing topics such as the changing roles and operational processes for both developers and operations professionals, how a shift to DevOps impacts individuals and org structures. Analysis of the relationship between the types of applications that move to a DevOps on premise vs public cloud service environments is also expected. Strong preference for candidates with experience in developing and implementing enterprise scale DevOps strategies.
- Thought-leadership:Provides leadership thinking around how the industry is shifting, and what the impacts of these shifts mean both to enterprise end user organizations and to the vendors delivering DevOps software and infrastructure products and technologies into these market segments. The right candidate will confidently take a position about how the industry is changing, and how change will unfold over the next 5 years.
- Consulting: Develops and/or customizes DevOps research and consulting projects to meet the specific needs of the external customers. Consulting projects can come in the form of customized surveys, white papers, webcasts, on-site strategy sessions, customized forecasts, videos or presentations at events.
- Verbal, Quantitative & Written Communications:Both verbal and written analysis is key to a successful analyst at IDC. This position carries the expectation for approximately 25 research documents per year, including a mix of shorter industry-event reactive pieces and longer, thought leadership documents that provide deeper insight into the changing nature of the market. The ability to build relationships with vendors and to proactively reach out to industry representatives is critical. Excellent telephone and interpersonal skills must compliment strong organizational skills and the ability to develop and defend market forecasts and share analysis is crucial. Frequent telephone interactions with clients, prospects and vendors is expected. The successful candidate will be able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and work independently to support a range of publishing, consulting, forecasting, market modeling, and thought leadership activities simultaneously, often with strict deadlines. Ability to consistently produce written deliverables discussing the evolving developer and operations markets, meet document count and production deadlines is essential for success in this position.
- Business Development:Utilizes existing and new relationships, in conjunction with technical and market knowledge, to develop and grow business relationships for CIS subscriptions and custom consulting work. Proactively develops relationships with internal IDC sales teams and acts as advocate for the research service and custom consulting projects as a subject matter expert during sales calls.
- The successful candidate must be a strong self-starter requiring minimal direct oversight.
- Candidate will have excellent collaboration skills, be able to professionally insert herself/himself into projects in a positive and additive manner.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 5 years of directly applicable industry experience, and be able to demonstrate a proven track record of written deliverables; examples of professional presentations of the nature required to fulfil this position, and a track record of successful business development with vendors in the industry.
- Bachelor degree required; advanced degrees a plus.
- Ability to travel 1 to 3 times a month during peak spring and fall periods (travel varies considerably, but heaviest travel periods will be between March and July, then again in September and October).
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,100 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries worldwide.
IDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IDC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics, disability, handicap, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy-related conditions, or political beliefs.
Req Number: 16-0168
Posting Date: 10/14/2016
Title: Research Director, Application Development and DevOps
Job Family: Research
Job Type: Full-Time
Career Level: Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)