Indian Health Service Nursing Assistant (Med/Surg-3W) in Gallup, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Gallup, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (7 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (6 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. *This position is located with the Division of Nursing, Inpatient Unit-Medical Surgical Service Branch- 3W, at the Gallup Indian Medical Center in Gallup, NM. The primary purpose of this position is to serve as support staff, responsible for the prioritizing of tasks as assigned under the supervision of licensed professional nursing staff utilizing universal precautions and insuring a safe, clean and orderly environment conducive to the delivery of quality care. Performs advanced and/or specialized treatment/procedures, training and competency testing. *
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Providing nursing care to assigned patients under the direction of a registered nurse in accordance with established unit policy. Provides basic nursing care to patients with a variety of conditions, illnesses, and/or injuries. Responsible for obtaining and recording patient information (i.e. vitals signs, height, weight, I&O;, etc.).
- Performs venipunctures to obtain blood specimens, glucometer testing and records results, sterile indwelling bladder catheter and maintains a sterile urinary drainage, obtains bacteriologic specimens such as sputum, clean-catch urine specimens, and topical culture. Sets up for and assist the nurse with oxygen administration. Performs 12 lead EKG and sets up for cardiac monitoring. Performs less complex dressings and treatments without assistance.
- Operates and monitors equipment for advance treatments/procedures for specialty areas (Labor & Delivery, Intensive Care, Special Care Nursery, Orthopedic Specialty) independently reporting change and abnormalities to the registered nurse.
- Assists patient in Activities of Daily Living (ADL) in accordance to the unit checklist. Provides patient education. Assist health provider with examination of patients by explaining procedures, positioning, draping and assembling instruments and supplies.
- Participates in the Continuous Quality Improvement Program. Assist the Nursing staff in orientation of new personnel.
- Not Required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: GS-05:Candidates must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level* -OR-* 4 years course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to the occupation.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Qualifying specialized experience includes nonprofessional nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other medical, nursing, or patient care facility, or in such work as that of a home health aid performing duties such as:
- Providing personal nursing care such as providing pre- and post-operative care.
- Support duties for diagnostic and technical treatment procedures, such as setting up and operating special medical equipment and apparatus.
- Caring for mentally ill patients, including observing, recording, and reporting changes in their behavior, and providing reassurance and encouragement.
- Assisting surgeons and registered nurses in operating room activities, including passing instruments, maintaining sterile conditions, and draping and positioning patients.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
Education and Training:
Successful completion of a degree program in an accredited community college, junior college, or college or university in practical nursing or in a field of study appropriate to the specialization of the position, such as education in a program for a psychology, psychiatric, or operating room technician.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, October 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- This position has no promotion potential.
- No Government housing authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Works on regularly assigned rotating shifts to provide continuity of nursing care during evenings, nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $32,318.00 to $42,012.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0621-05/05
Promotion Potential: 05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 453681100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-GA-1826399-ESEP/MP