Indian Health Service Supervisory Clinical Nurse (Tour) in Gallup, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Gallup, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Thursday 9/8/2016 (42 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (71 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-R2-GA-1736413-ESEP/MP, for eligibility requirements and for forms required. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position provides supervisory coverage for the facility, bed control and staff management for coverage of patient care where needed within the Division of Nursing Services. This position reports to Chief Nurse Executive (CNE). The position is located at Indian Health Service (IHS), Navajo Area Indian Health Service (NAIHS), Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC), Division of Nursing Services, Nursing Administration, Gallup, NM.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information. OPEN UNTIL FILLED (OUF) -- Certificate will be issued after September 28, 2016. Certificates will be issued every 15 days until the position is filled.
- Serves as a Tour Supervisory Clinical Nurse by performing the full range of administrative and clinical duties as well as provides consultative work within the Service Unit.
- Coordinates bed management between the emergency department, clinics, inpatient units and other Indian Health Services or Contract facilities. Utilizes the patient acuity and classification systems by collecting data. Submit daily tour reports to the Nurse Executive Team and Executive Management Team.
- Plans, organizes, directs and reviews work and administering employee personnel matters in absence of the Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) or Unit Supervisor.
- Collaborate with Administrator on call when issues cannot be resolved or when the need arises to obtain additional assistance to provide nursing care, services and treatment after hours and on weekends. Participates in management by walking rounds to ensure continuity of nursing care is provided safely and routinely performing concurrent patient chart audit to ensure compliance.
- Approves overtime/comp time for employees with proper justification and occasionally approves leave in absence of supervisor. Works collaboratively with all co-workers, peer, subordinates, superiors, internal and external customers, to achieve the goals and missions of the hospital and the Indian Health Service.
- Participates in hospital-wide Performance Improvement projects and activities to assure compliance with The Joint Commission (TJC) standards, other accreditation agencies and nursing standards/practices and policies. Actively participates in performance improvement focusing on outcomes of care, treatment and services utilizing the Nursing Performance Plan. Participates in sentinel events as the need arises.
- Educates and assist staff with performance improvement requirements and reviews work status along with progress on an ongoing basis. Counsels, advises and provides resources for employees and provides documentation to immediate supervisor as necessary. Applies and implements EEO program guidelines.
- Occasional Travel
- Incumbent is required to operate a government-owned lease or private vehicle in the performance of assigned duties. A valid State Driver's License is required and must be maintained.
- Travel and relocation expenses will be paid in the interest of the government and not in the interest of the selected employee. Travel and transportation expenses will be paid in accordance with the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR).
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Must have active, current licensure registration
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
SUPERVISORY OR MANAGERIAL ABILITIES: Candidates should possess proficiency, or the potential to develop proficiency, in these competencies prior to entry into a supervisory position. Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules. Customer Service: Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement. Decisiveness: Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions. Flexibility: Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles. Integrity/Honesty: Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics. Interpersonal Skills: Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations. Oral Communication: Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed. Problem Solving: Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations. Resilience: Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks. Written Communication: Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience includes: provides leadership and direction, maximizes program efficiency and effectiveness, develops short/long term goals, nursing expertise, knowledge of strategic planning and compliance with accreditation standards; ability to manage, plan and organize a unit, assign work; knowledge of personnel practices, preparation of work schedules, maintains unit safety and infection control. Sets employee performance standards and evaluations; initiates and recommends promotions, awards, training and disciplinary actions, etc. The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain an active, unrestricted nursing license from any State (U.S.). If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
For GS-11, Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education OR 1 year of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, December 30, 2016
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement. (Supervisory positions only)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Promotion Potential: None Travel Required: Yes, incumbent is required to operate a government-owned lease or private vehicle in the performance of assigned duties. A valid State Driver's License is required and must be maintained. Relocation Expenses Paid: Travel and relocation expenses will be paid in the interest of the government and not in the interest of the selected employee. Travel and transportation expenses will be paid in accordance with the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR).. Is position covered by PL 101-630? Yes, If "yes" (complete childcare addendum form) Is drug testing required? No Is government housing available? No Is this a bargaining unit position? No Alternative work schedule: call back, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays? Yes
Immunization Record - Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectee born after 1957.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,081.00 to $84,624.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-11/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: All groups of qualified individuals
Control Number: 449975800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R2-GA-1736392-DHA