Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician - Gastroenterologist in Hampton, Virginia
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Hampton, VA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 1/19/2016 (281 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 11/18/2016 (23 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1603869
Position is opened until September 30, 2016 unless filled prior to the closing date. Applications will be reviewed following the cut-off dates of the 15th of each month and the end of each month. Applications received by the cut-off date will be given consideration at that time.
- To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
- How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
- As a VA physician, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
- The position is located in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Veterans Health Administration (VHA), Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN6), VA Medical Center, in the Medical Service, Hampton, VA.
- Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
- VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related position in VA are covered by the Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Duties and Responsibilities: Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide direct patient care specific to sub specialty in the inpatient and ambulatory clinic settings.
- Provide timely screening and resolution of consultations from other disciplines in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Provide a full range of therapeutic interventions specific to sub specialty including endoscopic procedures to units/programs in the Medical Center to which they are assigned and have clinical privileges to practice including diagnostic assessment, medication evaluation and management.
- Order diagnostic tests and discriminate between normal and abnormal findings and makes appropriate treatment decisions.
- Documentation of care in the medical record in keeping with the bylaws of the Medical Center.
- Provide supervisory oversight residents, fellows, medical students, NP/PA students, as appropriate, who are assigned to the Gastroenterology Service.
- Provide supervisory oversight of the clinical care on the inpatient service and ambulatory clinic of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants as appropriate.
- Participates effectively in team meetings and treatment planning conferences, and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members in a manner that enhances coordination of comprehensive patient care.
- Provide weekend and holiday coverage of the gastroenterology consultation service in rotation with other staff gastroenterologist.
- Provide weekend and holiday coverage of the medical inpatient service in rotation at a frequency determined by the Chief of Medicine or Chief of Staff.
- Ensures that the practice of medicine is consistent with Joint Commission, CARF, VA policies and procedures, clinical practice guidelines, VISN standards, national statutes and regulations, medical record documentation, mandatory continuing education, and HIPPA policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff within clinical privileges to meet the needs of the organization.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Work Schedule; Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Functional Statement: Physician-Gastroenterologist/#000000
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required.
- U. S. Citizenship
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- English Language Proficiency required
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for Males born after 12/31/1959.
In accordance with VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G2:
(a)* Citizenship. *Citizen of the United States. (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3g, this part.)
(b) Education. Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
(c) *Licensure and Registration. *Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
(d) First-Year Residency (Internship). Completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
(e) Physical Standards. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019. Per VA Handbook 5019, Part IV, Appendix A, all full- and part-time employees, Volunteers and trainees are required to complete a Tuberculin Test prior to employment or assignment to duties where they may be exposed to tuberculosis.
(f) English Language Proficiency. Physicians appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
(g) Certification. Certification by the American Specialty Board preferred.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-2 PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATION STANDARD*http://www.va.gov/ohrm/joblistings/VAQualStds.doc* **
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
Application materials will not be returned. Submit proof of your education with a transcript or list of courses with credit hours, major(s), and grade point average or class ranking. We will be unable to return these to you. You can receive credit for education received outside the United States if you provide evidence that it is comparable to an accredited educational institution in the United States when you apply.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: (Failure to comply may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or dismissal after appointment)
- Applicants must meet any physical, language, license or degree requirements.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States, and be at least 16 years of age as of the closing date.
- Applicants tentatively selected for certain designated positions may be subject to a random drug screening for illegal drug use. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment.
- New Appointees will be subject to a background investigation to determine suitability. Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify at the time of appointment that they have registered with the Selective Service system or are exempt for having to do so under Selective Service law.
- Applicants must not be listed on the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of Inspector General Sanctions database.
- Must possess Full unrestricted licensure, certification or registration.
- Applicants selected for positions through this announcement may be subject to a two year probationary period.
- Public Law 95-201 requires that persons appointed to direct patient-care positions must possess the required basic proficiency in spoken and written English.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Your qualifications will be reviewed. After the vacancy announcement closes and referral certificate is issued, an electronic notification letter - or e-mail will be sent to applicants who proivde an e-mail address. Otherwise, you will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service within 2 to 4 weeks.
Selectee will be subject to the credentialing and VETPro process.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www.vacareers.va.gov/about-va/index.asp.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice:VHA physician brochure*.*
- This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
- Telework is not authorized.
EDRP*: The applicant selected for this positionMAY BE eligible to apply for an education loan reimbursement award up to the maximum limitation under the provisions of the Education Debt Reduction Program. Eligibility to apply does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Approval for EDRP awards are subject to the availability of funding.*
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $300,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 426939200
Job Announcement Number: VHA-590-16-ARi-1603869