Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Chief of Surgery) in Harlingen, Texas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Harlingen, TX
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 12/10/2015 (319 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/9/2016 (46 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1576792
VA TEXAS VALLEY COASTAL BEND HEALTH CARE SYSTEMThe VATVCBHCS is comprised of the Corpus Christi Outpatient Clinic (CCOPC), Corpus Christi Specialty Clinic (CCSC), Harlingen Outpatient Clinic (HOPC), Health Care Center at Harlingen (HCC), Laredo Outpatient Clinic (LOPC), and McAllen Outpatient Clinic (MCOPC). The VATVCBHCS is an ambulatory health care system providing health care in medicine, surgery, psychiatry, and rehabilitation medicine. The VATVCBHCS also operates a 100-patient Home Based Primary Care program and a 200-patient Care Coordination Home Tele-Health Program. Through the utilization of inpatient/emergency department contracts, approximately 2600 inpatient admission and 5800 ER visits are managed by VATVCBHCS. Affiliated with the University of Texas Regional Academic Health Campus, the system has an active ambulatory care program and serves as a teaching and training site for medical residents. The VATVCBHCS is responsible for an enrollee population of over 30,000 veterans and 350,000 outpatient visits annually.
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.**
* Recruitment/Relocation Incentives may be authorized for highly qualified candidates. *
This is an open-continuous annoucement. We will accept applications on an on-going basis until the position is filled. Eligible and qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting official at scheduled intervals.
* Non-Bargaining Position *
You will be assigned as the Chief of Surgery Services for the VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care System (VATVCBHCS). You will oversee the clinical aspects of the Surgical Service department, including budget and fiscal management, human resources management, strategic planning, and program development, assuring that the clinical and administrative functions are integrated in order to provide optimum utilization of the available resources. You will be responsible for the overall medical care of patients with conditions requiring treatment in your respective specialty to include consultative, prescriptive and ordering authority in the outpatient setting. Other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership and accountability for all aspects of the service, assuring support of the mission and values of this health care system.
- Utilize data about providers and available resources, to formulate strategic short term and long range plans and goals for the service, and to address deficiencies.
- Formulate and implement general policies, procedures, standards, and goals and objectives for the surgical service that are consistent with, and supportive of, the mission of the health care system.
- Board certified or board eligible
- Surgical Specialties which can be offered in an Ambulatory Surgery setting, such as: Otolaryngology, Orthopedics, Urology and Ophthalmology
- All other surgical specialties may apply but will be considered on a case by case basis
Work Schedule:FULL-TIME (May be required to work evenings or weekends as a 24/7 Full-Time Physician)
Functional Statement Title/#:Physician (Chief of Surgery)
- Occasional Travel
- Within and outside the health care system
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Licensure, Certification or Registration required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following Basic Requirements:
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.* *
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you will be asked to produce a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 2-3 hours); Pushing (up to 2-3 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Walking (up to 2-3 hours); Standing (up to 6-8 hours); Repeated bending (up to 4-6 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable; Far vision correctable; Depth perception; Hearing (aid permitted).
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This position will be filled on a full-time permanent basis. Upon completing any required probationary period, the position will be permanent.
If you are selected and have not previously served as a federal manager, you will be required to serve a one-year managerial probation period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $355,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 423837300
Job Announcement Number: VCB-16-JG-1576792-OCA