Indian Health Service Maintenance Mechanic Helper in Inscription House, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Inscription House, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/7/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/21/2016 (1 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position is located at the Kayenta Service Unit, Inscription House Health Center, Facilities Management Branch, Maintenance Unit, Inscription House, AZ. The primary purpose of this position is to provide general ground keeping and other maintenance duties for the housing quarters and health center for assigned units. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please ensure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you losing consideration for the job. This position is located at Inscription House Health Center, Maintenance Dept., Inscription House, AZ. The incumbent:
- Assures overall Clinic, IHS Quarters grounds and playground area are cleaned and maintained on a recurring basis. Ensures grounds have a pleasant appearance. Collects/disposes of trash and debris from Islands, parking lots, driveways, park facilities, transient/vacant quarters. Cuts weeds, grass, and unwanted plants collect/removes from site.
- Cleans, sweeps, seals cracks to sidewalks, asphalt pavement and curbing around and the Clinic and Housing compound driveways and parking lots, crosswalks and makes minor repairs to concrete and asphalts. Ensures traffic control signs are legible, secured and maintained in good repair.
- Operates and control large, complex riding lawnmowers and similar types of specialized machines such as 553 Bobcat Skid Steer Loader with attachments, dump truck with snowplow attachment and a commercial riding lawnmower. The nature of the duties and the kind of equipment used also require continual care and attention both to avoid accidents and to complete work according to established assignments.
- Digs ditches and trenches with pick and shovel where dirt is hard and compacted. Occasionally breaks up pavement or concrete digging underground sewer/water or irrigation lines or other hand surfaces with use of a jackhammer. Makes repairs to sprinkler system, replace sprinkler heads, risers, supply lines, and control valves.
- Maintains and repairs work in the field of carpentry, painting, electrical and/or mechanical work; performs routine or simple tasks; selects of common hand tools and equipment; exercises safety and working characteristics and follow precisely defined work sequences and processes. Performs common or continuing assignments that requires terminology, technique, practice, process and sequence to specific work situations and activities.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required to attend meetings and/or trainings.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EXPERIENCE: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence of experience which demonstrates your skills and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of your experience in your resume.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT:**Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen-out element which appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least this qualification requirement are considered for further rating: those who do not are rated ineligible. All eligible applicants are then rated against the remainder of the questions.
Must have a valid state driver's license. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, October 21, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Incumbent works outside in all kinds of weather and inside in areas that may be dusty, drafty and noisy. The equipment, tools and tasks involved at this level frequently require extreme care and use of safety gloves, ear plugs, safety glasses or respirators to avoid severe injuries.
Incumbent will be utilizing government furnished vehicles and must possess a valid state driver's license.
Incumbent exerts very heavy physical effort in operating large, riding equipment on grades and in areas with bushes, trees, and other visible obstacles that require significant maneuvering and lever control. Heavy physical effort is exerted, frequent lifting objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasionally exceeding 50 pounds. Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $17.78 to $20.74 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-4749-05/05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employees serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles.
Control Number: 452960100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-KA-1821853-ESEP/MP