City of Hope Database Administrator in Irwindale, California
Department: ITS- DBA
Requisition ID: 8340
Job Title: Database Administrator
Assist in the design, implementation, and maintenance of Oracle database applications, including application-specific databases implemented in Oracle 9i, 10g, and 11g, as well as the nascent Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW). Familiarity with best practices in database design, including entity-relational and dimensional modeling, data and metadata management, and data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL). Ability to create and expand databases, but with an eye toward long-term maintainability (e.g., partitioning). Expert knowledge of indexes, sequences, stored procedures, triggers, and other non-table database objects. Knowledge of front-end tools for accessing back-end databases (e.g., Quest Toad, Oracle SQL Developer, AquaFold Aqua Data Studio, etc.)
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Generates Oracle database servers. Creates individual databases, schemas, segments, tables and logins.
- Monitors the database environment to ensure systems are performing efficiently. Responsible for performance tuning. Reorganizes databases, if necessary, to improve performance. Makes recommendations regarding the purchase of additional hardware to improve performance.
- Writes and maintains indexes, sequences, stored procedures, and triggers.
- Proactively monitors database space utilization. Adjusts size of databases as necessary. When appropriate, makes recommendations to purchase additional storage.
- Reviews daily error logs and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Monitor and review database consistency checks.
- Participate in establishing and testing procedures for disaster recovery.
- Establish database and transaction log backups. Monitor the backup logs and perform restores as necessary.
- Keeps abreast of the latest in database technology. Makes appropriate recommendations regarding the purchase of new tuning, monitoring and documentation tools.
- Attend database-related conferences.
- Work with third-party vendors on database installation and upgrades.
- Monitor Unix disk utilization. Format and partition fixed disk and RAID arrays for use by Unix and Oracle.
- Build shell scripts for routing maintenance tasks. Create cron jobs and review Unix message logs. Position Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- Four to six years in the field of database administration with experience in the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of database systems in a heterogeneous multi-vendor networked environment that includes Unix and NT platforms.
- Experience with Oracle and Unix a must.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of front-end tools for accessing back-end databases (e.g., Quest Toad, Oracle SQL Developer, AquaFold Aqua Data Studio, etc.). Experience with database monitoring and performance tools. Knowledge of Unix scripting tools (AWK, Perl, SED).
- Ability to format and partition Unix disks and arrays.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, and Informix a plus. Experience with Oracle’s WebCenter platform and Fusion middleware platform a plus.
- Windows NT, Word, Excel, MS Project
- Oracle, Solaris, monitoring tools, performance analysis tools. About City of Hope City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.