Colorado Department of Transportation Temporary Road Maintenance- Kittredge in Jefferson County, Colorado
This position is open to Colorado residents and non-resident applicants.
Do you have heavy equipment operator experience and a COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE, Class A or B? Come join our team! We have several vacancies for temporary employment during the Winter season beginning September 2016.
The location for this vacancy is in Kittredge, Colorado and the pay rate is $18.63 per hour.
*The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) *is responsible for a 9,146 mile highway system including 3,447 bridges. This includes the heavily traveled I-70 and I-25 corridors. Each year this system handles over 27 billion vehicle miles of travel. Come join us in our commitment to keeping our state highways safe and open to the traveling public!
Description of Job
CDOT has multiple positions with varying shifts. Some of the positions are NIGHTS ONLY, others are WEEKEND positions, while others may be a 7-day on/7-day off shift.
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operate snow plows and perform ice removal at all hours to keep roadways clear and safe - This is the primary duty for these positions
- Drive trucks or tractors with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mow grass and weeds
- Make minor adjustments and repairs to equipment
- Haul and spread sand, gravel, concrete, asphalt and clay to fill washouts, roadway cracks and repair road shoulders
- Inspect, clean, and repair drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures
- Install/repair guardrails, road shoulders, berms, highway markers, warning signals and highway lighting, using hand and power tools
- Remove litter, hazardous objects and debris from roadways, such as rock, mud and/or deceased animals
- Dig ditches, empty litter barrels, pick up trash
- Assist in signing and striping highways, such as maintaining pavement markings and re-installing traffic signage
- Respond to emergencies by following prescribed procedures such as stopping or slowing traffic and operating emergency vehicles
- Set out signs and cones for "traffic control safe zones" around work areas to divert traffic
- Graffiti control, sand blasting, remove paint over walls, bridges and signs and using pressure washers, airless paint sprayers
Other duties as assigned. Work Environment:
Exposure to loud noise
- Exposure to fumes, odors, gasses, dusts, etc. that may affect breathing, eyes and skin
- Required to use appropriate personal protective equipment as appropriate
- Required to work with chemicals and cleaning products
- Some equipment requires the use of respirators
- Work in close proximity to heavy traffic
- Use of ladders and scissor lifts for heights of approximately 10 – 20'
- Frequently responds to emergencies outsider regular work hours and may work overtime including weekends and holidays
Must be willing and be physically able to work in extreme temperatures (hot and cold), variable weather conditions, and at varying elevations up to 12,000 feet for long periods of time. Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Eighteen (18) months in heavy construction/physical labor experience AND six (6) months heavy equipment operation experience;
- OR eighteen (18) months heavy equipment operation experience AND six (6) months heavy construction/physical labor experience;
- Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License Class A or B with no restriction on air brakes Examples of heavy equipment operation experience: Operating single axle dump truck, tandem axle dump truck, front-end loader (3 yards or larger), bulldozer, backhoe, road grader, paving equipment, 15' mower tractors, or farm/ranch equipment such as tractors or combines.
Examples of heavy construction/physical labor experience: Bricklayer, construction laborer, plasterer, rancher/farmer or concrete finisher.
Necessary Special Requirements: The following conditions must be met and maintained in order to be employed and to continue employment at CDOT in this position, unless exempted by the Maintenance Superintendent or Traffic Program Engineer.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License Class A or B with no restriction on air brakes.
- If you have a non-Colorado Commercial Driver's License, you must be eligible to drive in Colorado with your CDL at time of hire. If you currently live outside of Colorado and relocate to reside in Colorado, you must transfer your CDL to Colorado within 30 days of relocation.
- May be required to pass a controlled substance test (i.e. drug test), and DOT physical through our medical provider.
- Must be willing to respond to emergencies outside regular work hours and work overtime including weekends and holidays.
- Must provide the supervisor with a telephone number where you can be reached for the purposes of responding to an emergency.
* * Employment Screening
If an applicant reaches the finalist stage of the hiring process, the Colorado Department of Transportation may procure a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report on the applicant in connection with his/her application for employment purposes, as defined under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. These reports may be obtained at any time after receipt of the applicant's authorization. As part of the employment screening an applicant will be requested to disclose any differed judgments and convictions as well an explanation of the circumstances around any arrest or conviction. In the event that a screening returns information that the applicant believes is not accurate, he or she will have an opportunity to dispute the information with "TC logiQ".
The report may contain information bearing on the applicant's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living. The information that may be included in the report includes: social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records checks, education records, and driving records checks. CDOT will only request credit reports insofar as they relate to the position for which the applicant is applying. The information contained in the report will be obtained from private and/or public record sources. The applicant will have the right, upon written request made within a reasonable time after receipt of a notice, to request disclosure of the nature and scope of any investigative consumer report.
- Supplemental Information
This is a paid temporary position with no benefits and will exist for 9 months or less. Application Checklist - A completed application must include: 1) A complete CDOT Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the link in this announcement) 2) A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (must submit online as part of your application) 3) To verify CDL Licensure: A photocopy or picture of your current CDL license and a copy of your valid DOT medical card. A copy of the CDL License and DOT medical card needs to be attached to your on-line application or sent to no later than 2 calendar days after submitting your application.
Colorado Department of Transportation Workforce Staffing 4201 E. Arkansas Ave. RM 290 Denver, CO 80222 Fax: 303-757-9081/ T 303 757 9681 Email: Linda.Bedford@state.co.us
Salary: $16.17 - $22.98 Hourly
Job Type: Temporary (9 months or less)
Job Number: HAA-TempKittredge
Location: Jefferson County, CO
Department: Department of Transportation
Agency: State of Colorado
Address: See the full announcement by clicking the "Printer" icon located above the job title Location varies by announcement, Colorado, --.