Columbia Sportswear Company *New Store* - Assistant Store Manager - Laredo, TX in Laredo, Texas
*New Store* - Assistant Store Manager - Laredo, TX
United States, Texas, Laredo
1000021D Requisition #
Sep 27, 2016 Post Date
Bilingual in English & Spanish Preferred
General Position Summary:
The Assistant Store Manager is a key member of the store management team and is responsible for providing team leadership and supporting the Store Manager to ensure effective operation of the store. The Assistant Manager supports and drives the company mission: “Connecting Active People With Their Passions.” The Assistant Manager also assists the Store Manager in ensuring the store achieves or exceeds all performance goals. This includes managing the day-to-day activities of the store to deliver an efficient, profitable and customer-oriented operation including managing aspects of staffing and development as well as operational components within the store. The Assistant Manager will help create strategic and tactical plans for the store. The Assistant Manager may be given specific area(s) of responsibility to drive change and improve performance.
Compete To Win:
- Provide leadership and direction to the store staff, including supervisors and associates. Support the store manager in developing a strong sales environment focused on teamwork and customer service.
- Ensure store sales goals are achieved through providing leadership & direction in the areas of: sales techniques, customer service, product knowledge, and store communications.
- Assist the Store Manager in developing and implementing motivational incentives for sales staff. Track employee results and make suggestions for modifying goals accordingly.
- Assist the Store Manager with the development and implementation of action plans to address any issues relating to store sales, goals, safety, training and personnel development.
Doing the Right Thing:
- Provide leadership and direction to the store staff, including supervisors and associates.
- Demonstrate leadership, coaching and listening skills through training and acting as a positive role model and Leader on Duty.
- Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Columbia Sportswear Company personnel.
- Perform good customer service by assisting customers in person or on the phone.
- Provide information to customers on current product features and benefits.
- Maintain current and accurate knowledge of product features, benefits, and availability.
- Resolve customer complaints.
- Support the Store Manager by implementing and assisting in employee training and development. Training and coaching will include the areas of sales, customer service, cash wrap functions and store operations as needed.
- Assist Manager in interviewing, hiring, training, and disciplinary action process as it applies to the store staff.
- Assist with orienting and training new employees.
- Provide coaching and direction on a day-to-day basis to ensure staff performance standards is met.
- Provide direction and leadership to the Freight and Floor Supervisors as needed.
- Provide input to Store Manager on staff performance for the performance appraisal process.
- Supervise the daily activities of the store staff in all aspects of job performance and compliance with store policies and procedures.
- Assist in the timely completion of all recordkeeping associated with applicants, new hires, payroll, performance appraisals, salary reviews, counselling, disciplinary actions and terminations.
- Participate in the audit process to ensure accuracy of opening and closing procedures, cashiering and returns.
- Answer product and order inquiries. Includes computer research, coordination with other departments such as the distribution center, customer service or retail accounting. Requires prioritizing of such inquiries.
- Perform regular daily store activities such as opening and closing procedures which include balancing registers, preparing cash bags, and activating security system.
- Assist in maintaining inventory levels through ongoing communication with the Store Manager and Freight Supervisor.
- Assist Store Manager in the implementation and maintenance of management systems for sales tracking, organization, controlling and auditing store operations.
- Support the Store Manager in developing a strong sales environment focused on teamwork and customer service that deliver annual performance results.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service and problem solving skills.
- Resolve customer complaints.
Act as the Store Manager in that person's absence.
- Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Columbia Sportswear Company management, merchandising staff, all other internal departments and outside suppliers in order to contribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of the store.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Works under limited supervision and exercises autonomy on some projects/ tasks. Applies support or technical skills to non-routine tasks.
- Job has some variety in terms of customer contact and needs.
- Incumbent follows well-established store practices and procedures.
- Duties are performed with specific directions and goals and work is checked or verified visually and by results.
- Decisions are made within specific store policy constraints. Errors in judgment could affect the profitability of the store by affecting customer satisfaction or affect the accuracy of cash register transactions.
- Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization.
- Internal contacts frequently include the Store Manager, District Manager, Store Staff, Product Merchandise team, Safety and security, HR team, Retail Accounting, and other team members as needed.
- External contacts frequently include customers and vendors.
- Interactions tend to focus on providing daily direction, providing assistance, information exchange and training.
- Contacts sometimes include sensitive or confidential information.
- Incumbent often initiates communication on his/her own through various means including phone, email, and face-to-face interaction.
Specific Job Skills:
- Must possess strong business acumen and thorough knowledge of retail management practices.
- Ability to build and lead a cohesive team, proven leadership, motivational and coaching techniques.
- Strong selling techniques and experience providing high levels of customer service.
- Excellent time management and problem solving abilities and the ability to use good judgment and make strong independent decisions.
- Tasks require some judgment.
- May adapt a number of procedures, processes, and tools to resolve issues. Refers only the most complex issues to Store Manager.
- Impacts and influences the performance of other jobs.
- Skills in operating personal computers, POS systems and various software packages including Microsoft Word and Excel are needed.
- Ability to read, write, fluently speak, and understand English.
- Basic math ability and problem solving skills are required.
- Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with other company personnel and customers, provide coaching and mentoring to staff, troubleshoot, solve problems, make decisions independently, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
- Physical requirements include the ability to use telephone, computerized cash register; perform repetitive movements of the arms and shoulders, stand for extended periods of time, move freely around store, bend, twist, reach, squat, climb a ladder occasionally and regularly lift/carry up to 40 pounds.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Prefer 1 year previous experience in retail at management or supervisory level demonstrating strong selling techniques and experience providing high levels of customer service.
- Job may require hours that often exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week during peak periods.
- Available to work flexible store schedule – Sunday to Saturday.
- Job pressure exists in meeting store goals and managing personal and others' time.
- Willingness to set and maintain high standards of performance.
- Exposure to a computer CRT.
Key Competencies For Success:
- Ensures Accountability: Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Instils Trust: Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Decision Quality: Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Financial Acumen: Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Resourcefulness: Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Plans and Aligns: Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Tech Savvy: Anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applications.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.