Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician - Hospitalist in Leavenworth, Kansas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
2 vacancies in the following locations:
- Leavenworth, KS
- Topeka, KS
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 6/30/2016 (281 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 6/29/2017 (83 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1406421
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
Recruitment/Relocation incentives may be authorized for highly qualified applicants.
Ask your recruiter about the Education Debt Reduction Program.**
This is an open continuous announcement. We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available. Applicants will be referred to selecting official on a weekly basis OR until the closing date of this announcement. Applicants need not re-apply once the application is referred to the selecting official.
This announcement will fill one (1) position in Topeka, KS and one (1) position in Leavenworth, KS.
VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System's primary service area consists of 39 counties in Kansas and Missouri. Veteran population in these counties totals over 104,000. VAEKHCS provides care to approximately 36,000 veterans.
The VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System is actively recruiting for a board certified (or board eligible) Internal Medicine physician to work as a Hospitalist at our VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System located in either Leavenworth or Topeka. The main focus will be inpatient care, which includes managing patients in the inpatient wards, PCU and ICU. You will play an active role in optimizing the efficiency and effectiveness of the inpatient care process from admission through discharge. Major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide coverage on inpatient wards/PCU/ICU
- Taking calls on Medicine patients in-house (Med/Surg floor, PCU and ICU) and CLC
- Managing emergencies and writing admission orders and completing required paperwork
- Managing transfers into and out of the facility
- Coordinating hand-off communication after hours
- Participate in, and at times lead, clinical and education administrative committees, task groups, or special projects
- Respond to code blue throughout campus
- Back up physician for rapid response team on campus
- Supervise mid-levels in Topeka and Medicine residents in Leavenworth
- Perform procedures:intubation, vascular access (arterial line/central line), LP, thorocentesis/paracentesis, chest tube and splints
- ACLS/BLS and out of OR airway certification preferred
- May need to cover ED occasionally.
*Work Schedule: *7 days on, then 7 days off.
Functional Statement Title/#:Internal Medicine Scope of Practice
- 50% or Greater
- Travel between the Topeka and Leavenworth facilities is required.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
Basic Requirements*: *
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: Board Certification/Board Eligibility in Internal Medicine or Family Practice; current ACLS/BLS certification
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.* *This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; walking (3 hours per day); standing (6 hours per day); kneeling (2 hours per day); both legs required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted)
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice:VHA physician brochure*.*
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
Salary Range: $200,000.00 to $230,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: By law, U.S. Citizens will be given first preference but non-citizens will be considered in the absence of qualified citizens.
Control Number: 403786300
Job Announcement Number: YN-EAEB-15-MK-1406421