Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse in Leeds, Massachusetts
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Many vacancies in the following location:
- Leeds, MA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 5/16/2016 (283 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 5/15/2017 (81 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1703318
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The Medical Center serves over 25,000 patients at its main campus and six community based outpatient clinics in Central and Western Massachusetts. Core missions are primary care, mental health inpatient and outpatient care, and extended care. The Medical Center is engaging employees in a 'Culture of Improvement', utilizing a variety of Process Improvement techniques to improve efficiency of clinical operational functions to the benefit of veterans and staff.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants may be referred as early as June 16, 2016 and in 30 day increments thereafter as vacancies become available throughout the year. This announcement covers multiple areas within VA Central Western Massachusetts Health Care System.
Please read the entire announcement before beginning the application process to ensure you submit all the required documents. All applicable forms must be completed and signed prior to uploading to receive consideration for this position (see Required Documents section).
This announcement will be used to fill vacancies in the Post-Tramatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) unit, Acute Psychiatry, and Step-Down Psychiatry Unit.
The Staff Registered Nurse functions as part of the inter-disciplinary health care team. This position provides astute nursing assessment and critical thinking skills in order to deliver outstanding clinical care to veterans. The staff nurse applies the nursing process to systems or processes at the patient/unit/team/work group level to improve care. Data is obtained and used to plan care and formulate a treatment plan Collaboration with other disciplines is a critical function. Individualized care is carried out using sound clinical judgment. The following duties are part of the staff nurse role:
- Nursing Assessment
- Care plan development & implementation
- Medication administration
- Clinical leadership
- Patient advocacy
- Patient/family teaching
- Outstanding customer service
Work Schedule: 7:30am - 4:00pm with rotation or 3:30pm - 12:00am; An employee assigned to this position may be assigned to work any shift.
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse - Nurse I, Level I; Registered Nurse - Nurse I, Level II; Registered Nurse - Nurse I, Level III; Registered Nurse - Nurse II; Registered Nurse - Nurse II
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. *Grade Determinations: *The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Preferred Experience: Two years or more nursing experience. Psychiatric nursing experience preferred. Prior charge nurse experience desirable.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Work involves varying periods of sitting, standing and walking. Working with patients/ residents requires bending, stooping, teaching, lifting, balancing, kneeling, pushing, i.e., wheelchairs, geri-chairs, litters and similar activities. Also, it may be necessary to perform such activities as CPR and psychiatric intervention at a unit-specific level.
Emotional Demands: Many emotional demands are made upon an employee of a psychiatric hospital. The employee will be required to maintain composure and a calm demeanor at all times. Employees will exhibit an unbiased and non-judgmental attitude in working, with patients/ residents/ families and significant others as well as with interdisciplinary staff.**
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $64,114.00 to $106,876.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Status Candidates
Control Number: 439076700
Job Announcement Number: TK-16-RMR-1703318-BU