USG Corporation Industrial Post-Doc in Libertyville, Illinois
For more than 110 years, Chicago-based USG has been a leader in producing innovative, award-winning products and systems to build everything from major commercial developments and residential housing to home improvements. USG's nearly 9,000 employees are committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and quality in everything we do. Our steadfast commitment to the company's core business values – innovation, quality, integrity, service, diversity, efficiency and safety – have helped us become the company we are today. And looking to the future, USG employees are very optimistic – in fact, 97% of professional employees surveyed in 2013 have confidence in the company’s strategic objectives and 96% are confident in senior leadership. As a company with $3B in revenues, we’re big enough that our professionals have the resources to make a difference – and we’re small enough that you’re not just a number. You’ll work on key initiatives and build strong relationships across the company to successfully complete vital projects that will drive the future of our company. USG offers work-life balance, promotion from within, low turnover, exceptional benefits, a dynamic environment, and the ability to explore career opportunities in different functional areas within the company. Find out more about growing your career with USG at http://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/en/about-usg/careers.html . You can also visit https://www.facebook.com/USGCORP to learn more about what’s happening at USG.
USG is North America's leading producer of building materials, which include gypsum wallboard, cement boards, joint compound, and a vast array of related products. We are also the global leader in the manufacture of ceiling suspension systems and are recognized as the premier acoustical panel and specialty ceiling systems innovator. Our family of products provides creative building solutions that set new standards for productivity and efficiency, helping contractors and architects deliver high quality and innovative designs. USG Corporate Innovation Center is located in Libertyville, IL, 40 miles NW of Chicago.
Position Description An Industrial Postdoc position in the USG Performance Surfaces Laboratory focused on supporting formulated product lines used in both residential and commercial construction. The position will report directly to the CIC Laboratory Director but will work under the guidance of senior technical staff, who are subject matter experts in the areas of construction related formulated products. Formulated products include but are not limited to; cement plasters, mortars, joint treatments, coatings, adhesives & sealants, textures, and reinforcing tapes & beads.
The successful candidate will acquire knowledge and training from experts at the CIC to; develop products uniquely tailored to local market construction practices, support growth of the business through new product development activities, ensure the highest standard of product quality and ensure compliance with all product performance standards or requirements for markets served. Work activities include, but are not limited to: experimental design, sample preparation and testing, product development, raw material qualification, quality control functions, test development, test observation, data collection and reporting, manufacturing scale up, production optimization, and local technical field support activities. The successful candidate may be required to travel. In-country travel could exceed 15%.
The candidate must be able to: • Know, practice, & enforce the safe use of all equipment & materials employed in the course of assigned work. Conduct activities in a safe manner, observing all safety and environmental regulations • Develop & execute projects in a timely manner to provide innovative solutions of formulated construction products for both residential and commercial buildings • Work with personnel in CIC, Manufacturing and in Manufacturing Technical Services to identify, prioritize & resolve critical bottlenecks to product quality, production capacity and product cost • Apply new technologies for product lines and/or processes in areas of responsibility
Education & Experience • Minimum Ph.D. in Chemistry or related science discipline, required
• 2-3 years laboratory experience. Some familiarity with construction related formulated products (e.g. paints, cements, or coatings), preferred
• Familiarity with construction and building market practices and raw materials - through direct or indirect involvement or previous work experience
• Strong English oral and written communication skills with experience in applied product development
• Fundamental statistical data analysis, mathematical, and experimental design skills, f amiliarity with data mining techniques and machine learning is a plus.
• Strong interpersonal skills to work within cross-functional teams to successfully complete goals and objectives in a timely manner • Documented history in the ability to design & execute new product development solutions • Strong project management skills with focus on organizational & planning to identify issues, develop project plan, and execute solutions in a timely & efficient manner to achieve project objectives • Strong computers skills with experience in Microsoft Office productivity applications (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) • Ability to interpret chemical and physical characterization tests to qualify material • Ability to design, document and/or execute testing protocols for materials to guarantee product performance or raw material suitability
Organization: *Research-CIC.Performance Surfaces-151-21
Title: Industrial Post-Doc
Requisition ID: RES10094