Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Dermatologist) in Long Beach, California
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Long Beach, CA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 9/7/2016 (47 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1793330
Salary: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel (for physicians and dentists) in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service.
If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans. The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define who we are, our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (I CARE).
America's Veterans need you! To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.
The VA Long Beach Health Care System is actively recruiting for a Staff Dermatologist, in our Medicine & Inpatient Healthcare Group. The VA Long Beach Health Care System is a tertiary care facility and one of the most diversified healthcare providers in the VA providing a full range of patient care services, with state of the art technology as well as education and research. Services to be performed include but are not limited to:
I. General Description:Medical physician with specialized advanced knowledge and assignments in the Dermatology section at the VALB. Physician to function proficiently in all aspects of the teaching environment of the VALB and UCI residency program in Dermatology. The selected physician will be responsible for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of all dermatologic conditions including advanced CTCL (on multiple systemic chemotherapies); psoriasis (biologics, DMARDs, MTX, nUVB, Cosentyx, Otezla); cystic acne (isotretinoin), lupus (antimalarials, prednisone), leg ulcers, diabetic skin complications, wound infections, chronic idiopathic urticaria, drug eruptions, TEN, SJS, DRESS, extensive tinea (Lamisil, fluconazole, itraconazole); uremic pruritus, scabies, lice, STD's.
Mohs surgery and/or general dermatological surgery proficiency and teaching skills are not required, but demonstrated added qualifications. Candidates with fellowship training and/or academic/clinical research experience are preferred.
II. Education/Experience/Certification: Board Certified in medical Dermatology.
IV. Qualifications: United States Citizen.
Evaluation:Performance evaluation occurs annually with a mid-year review.
Supervisory Controls:Works under the general supervision of Chief of Dermatology and Chief of Medical Health Care Group.
NOTE : PROVIDED FUNDING IS AVAILABLE, EXTERNAL CANDIDATES MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR EDUCATION DEBT REDUCTION PROGRAM (EDRP). EDRP CANDIDATES MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETE AND ACCURATE EDRP APPLICATION AND SUPPORTING LOAN DOCUMENTATION WITHIN FOUR (4) MONTHS OF THEIR ENTRANCE ON DUTY (EOD) DATE.
- Not Required
- US citizenship
- English language proficiency
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Random drug testing
- Physical standards
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. citizenship
- English language proficiency
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
- Licensure and Registration Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The Physician must maintain a current registration to continue employment with the VA
- Educational requirements - Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
- Schools of medicine holding regular institutional membership in the Association of American Medical Colleges for the year in which the degree was granted.
- Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted.
- Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia as qualifying for full or unrestricted licensure.
- For residents, graduation from an approved medical school as described above is required.
- First-Year Residency (Internship) - Completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was competed. For a VA resident, the appropriate Deans Committee and Resident Review Board may recommend appointment on the basis of the candidate's acceptability for residency training. Approved residencies are:
- Those approved by the Council on Medical Education and Hospitals, American Medical Association, in the list published for the year the residency was completed, OR
- Other residencies or their equivalents which the Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training. The Board may determine that the residency requirement has been met if the candidate has completed 1 year of postgraduate education.
The following are preferred characteristics for this position:
- Board certification in dermatology.
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by the Physician Pay Panel for Physicians and Dentists to recommend salary of the applicant to the Medical Center Director who has final approval.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Veteran's Preference: When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, nonservice-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed SF 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and required documentation with your application materials. If the military member is within 120 days of separation and does not yet have a DD214, the member may instead submit any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, go to http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetsinfo.asp.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You will receive e-mail notification as to whether or not you were included on the list of referred candidates. If you do not provide an e-mail address, your notification will be sent via US postal service within 2-4 weeks.
Important note: Applicants have the burden of producing all needed information prior to the closing of the announcement Saturday, December 31, 2016. If this requirement is not met and you are not referred to the hiring facility, you may contact the local HR office for Direct Hiring Authority options.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $300,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 449510600
Job Announcement Number: VR-1793330-T38-16-136-JB