Columbia Sportswear Company Retail Sales/Operations Manager - Los Angeles, CA - Citadel in Los Angeles, California
Retail Sales/Operations Manager - Los Angeles, CA - Citadel
United States, California, Los Angeles
1000021X Requisition #
Sep 29, 2016 Post Date
General Position Summary:
The Sales/Operations Manager (SOM) is a key member of our store leadership team. The SOM supports the Store Manager (SM) to drive our company mission: Connecting Active People With Their Passions.” The SOM is responsible for ensuring that assigned departments or areas of control achieve or exceed all performance and compliance goals in line with the strategic direction set by the Store Manager. The SOM is responsible for creating and executing plans approved by the SM for continual improvement and to deliver division results that support the overall store plan. The SOM helps the SM maintain profitability by assisting the SM in P & L review, reviewing purchase decisions and expenditures, and controlling costs.
The SOM is directly responsible for all aspects of employee development and performance management, including hiring, training, development and performance reviews, with approval by SM. Recommendations for termination are made in partnership with the Store Manager. It is the responsibility of the SOM to drive employee performance and hold staff accountable within their areas of control and for the entire store in the SM’s absence.
The SOM manages the day to day activities of the store to deliver an efficient, profitable, and customer-oriented operation. The SOM interacts directly with all staff at the store as well as customers. The SOM directs corporate communication, outreach inquiries and business partnering to the SM and assists with activities and planning as requested by the SM.
- Ensure store sales goals are achieved through providing leadership & direction in the areas of: sales behaviour, customer service, product knowledge, and store communications.
- Supervise the daily activities of the store staff in all aspects of job performance and compliance with store operations policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and direction to the store staff, including supervisors and associates.
- Identify store staffing needs and conduct interviewing, hiring, training, review and disciplinary action. Conduct and plan employee training & development.
- Ensure that payroll budget is met and managed through scheduling.
- Coach and direct store staff to ensure staff performance standards are met.
- Provide leadership, direction and coaching to the Freight and Floor Supervisors.
- Ensure that inventory levels are accurate and that staff is trained and following procedures.
- Ensure the store is in compliance with Loss Prevention and Operational policies and procedures and annual store shrink is below goal.
- Perform regular daily store activities such as opening and closing procedures which include balancing registers, preparing cash bags, and activating security system.
- Complete all recordkeeping associated with applicants, new hires, payroll, performance appraisals, salary reviews, counselling, disciplinary actions and terminations.
- Participate in the audit process to ensure accuracy of opening and closing procedures, cashiering and returns.
- Create and execute the implementation and maintenance of management systems for sales tracking, organization, controlling and auditing store operations.
Compete To Win:
- Develop a strong sales environment focused on teamwork and customer service that deliver annual performance results.
- Identify and create plans for approval by the Store Manager to enhance employee productivity and performance and track employee results and make suggestions for modifying goals accordingly.
- Train staff and identify potential areas of need to minimize customer issues (both internal and external).
- Delegate appropriately (while maintaining accountability) to provide development opportunities and seamless operations and continual improvement.
Doing the Right Thing:
- Demonstrate leadership, coaching and listening skills by ensuring quality service among staff through training and by acting as a positive role model and MOD.
- Ensure the company policy and procedures are communicated in a timely manner and adhered to accordingly.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service and problem solving skills by assisting customers in person or on the phone.
- Provide information to customers on current product features and benefits and to staff on expectations, policies, objectives. Requires maintaining current and accurate knowledge of product features, benefits, and availability.
- Resolve customer complaints.
- Training and coaching will include the areas of sales, customer service, product knowledge, , visual standards, professional conduct, compliance, cash wrap functions and all store operations as needed.
- Act as the Store Manager in that person's absence.
- Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Columbia Sportswear Company management, merchandising staff, all other internal departments and outside suppliers in order to contribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of the store.
- Manages 5-10+ Associate or Support employees at the same location.
- Possesses good knowledge and comprehensive understanding of processes, procedures, and systems used by the work group in carrying out assigned tasks.
- Applies independent judgment to solve routine problems.
- Has an impact on the work group through joint accountability for the volume, quality and timeliness of end results for the store.
- Secondarily responsible for store P&L
- Influences department policies and procedures and makes decision impacting the efficiency and effectiveness of the work group.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Job has some variety in terms of customer contact and needs.
- Incumbent follows well-established store practices and procedures.
- Duties are performed with specific directions and goals and work is checked or verified visually and by results.
- Decisions are made within specific store policy constraints.
- Errors in judgment could affect the profitability of the store by affecting customer satisfaction, employee morale and performance or affect the accuracy of cash register transactions.
- Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization.
- Internal contacts frequently include the Store Manager, District Manager, Store Staff, Product Merchandise team, Safety and security, HR team, Retail Accounting, and other team members as needed.
- External contacts frequently include customers and vendors.
- Interactions tend to focus on providing daily direction, providing assistance, information exchange and training.
- Contacts sometimes include sensitive or confidential information.
- Incumbent often initiates communication on his/her own through various means including phone, email, and face-to-face interaction.
Specific Job Skills:
- Must possess strong business acumen and thorough knowledge of retail management practices. This includes but is not limited to: personnel scheduling, payroll budgeting, sales forecasting, inventory control and warehouse operations.
- The incumbent should have a strong background in advanced retail sales techniques, and customer service, with the ability to train others in these areas.
- The Sales Operations Manager must be a skilled team builder who is able to achieve results through motivation and education.
- This position requires appropriate delegation of tasks and the knowledge, skills and experience to be able to self-manage this.
- The incumbent must also have the ability to build a cohesive team, and creating strong morale by utilizing proven leadership, motivational and coaching techniques.
- Excellent time management and problem solving abilities are required for success, as well as the ability to use good judgement and make strong independent decisions.
- Skills in operating personal computers, POS systems and various software packages including Microsoft Word and Excel are needed.
- Ability to read, write, fluently speak, and understand English.
- Retail math proficiency.
- Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with other company personnel and customers, provide coaching and mentoring to staff, troubleshoot, solve problems, make decisions independently, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
- Physical requirements include the ability to use telephone, computerized cash register; perform repetitive movements of the arms and shoulders, stand for extended periods of time, move freely around store, bend, twist, reach, squat, climb a ladder occasionally and regularly lift/carry up to 40 pounds.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Min. of 1-3 years of management experience;
- 3-5 years of retail store management or supervisory experience is required.
- Candidates with store management volume experience in excess of $10mm strongly preferred.
- Strong selling techniques and experience providing high levels of customer service.
- Job may require hours that often exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week during peak periods.
- Available to work typical retail store schedule – Sunday to Saturday, nights and weekends, peak season spikes.
- Some late night and early morning shifts.
- Job pressure exists in meeting store goals and managing personal and others' time.
- Willingness to set and maintain high standards of performance. Exposure to a computer CRT.