Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration RN Assistant Nurse Manager- Various Areas in Los Angeles, California
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Los Angeles, CA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 9/23/2016 (28 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (71 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1806353
Care for Heroes... Become a Hero... Be a VA Nurse OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
This announcement is for an immediate opening. Candidates notified of tentative selection will be required to complete a physical examination, background investigation to include fingerprinting, and VetPro credentialing. For all requirements, additional information may be required and candidates will be provided one to five business days to meet these requirements.**For tentative selectees who fail to report for a physical, fail to submit additional information regarding the physical, fail to complete the on-line background investigation and/or submit the signature pages required to complete the investigation within the five day period may have their name removed from further consideration for this vacancy.
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
As a VA professional nurse, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS) is seeking to hire Assistant Nurse Managers for the following areas:
- Intensive Care Unit
- Emergency Department
- Progressive Care Unit
The Assistant Nurse Manager executes position responsibilities that demonstrate leadership experience, and creative approaches to management of complex patient care. He/she will be responsible for the documented and validated outcomes at the program or service level and contribute positively to organizational outcomes. The Assistant Nurse Manager will serve in selected managerial functions as noted in Nurse Manager accountabilities with line authority to the unit nurse manager and their respective Chief Nurse. The Chief, Nursing Service for Clinical Practice will provide mentorship, oversight, and monitoring for the Assistant Nurse Manager.
*Variable 8 and/or 12 hour night tours with intermittent rotation to weekends and day tour to meet the needs of the service.
Job duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Demonstrates leadership and organization of patient care to assure continuity of care and peer accountability, including access to care and discharge planning.
Uses advanced clinical knowledge/judgment to promote staff involvement in interdisciplinary care collaboration, planning, decision-making, and evaluating outcomes.
Functions as a knowledgeable resource in clinical practice and/or areas related to the assigned roles and responsibilities.
Systematically evaluating current practice and outcomes for groups of patients or service level processes within areas of proficiency.
Guides, coaches, supports and evaluates staff from leadership perspective.
Uses professional scope of practice, standards of care, and evidenced-based practice to evaluate patient centered care, administrative and service activities.
Adheres to established policies, standards of care and standards of practice.
Demonstrates leadership in improving nursing care.
Oversees the day-to-day operations of assigned area and may be responsible for administration, management, supervision, and evaluation of both nursing care and nursing personnel on his/her designated unit.
Demonstrates, promotes, creates and ensures a culturally diverse workforce in which values and needs of all individuals are respected.
Provides an environment that fosters employees to perform to their full individual potential.
Duty Location: VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90073
Work Schedule: Variable 8 and/or 12 hour night tours with intermittent rotation to weekends and day tour to meet the needs of the service.
*Functional Statement Title/#: *RN Assistant Nurse Manager
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel as needed by the service.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration* AND* degree equivalency documentation will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- English Language Proficiency
- BSN preferred with approximately 2-3 years of experience, and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
* Note:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from one of the following: American Heart Association - Basic Life Support ORthe Military Training Network (MTN) Provider Certificate/Card
- Basic computer literacy proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office programs or comparable word processing, spreadsheet and graphic software and the ability to learn new programs specific to the VA
- Demonstrated leadership competence in one of the following: Charge Nurse or Supervisory role preferred
- At least 3 years of successful full-time RN experience in area of specialty in the last 5 years preferred
- Appropriate certifications are preferred in area of specialty
- Evidence of self-direction or organizational skills
- Evidence of effectively educating patients and patient families
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* *This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, kneeling, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The candidate may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The candidate may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. The candidate will be working closely with others and may have protracted or irregular hours of work.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Registered Nurses employed by the Veterans Affairs earn annual leave at a rate of 8 hours per pay period and earn sick leave at a rate of 4 hours per pay period.
VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $84,914.00 to $123,091.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 451529600
Job Announcement Number: 16-RN-ETP-1806353-BU