Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration RN Staff Nurse - PCU in Los Angeles, California
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Los Angeles, CA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 8/5/2016 (78 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1767771
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Care for heroes.......Be a hero........Be a VA Nurse!
The Greater Los Angeles VA Medical Center is seeking highly skilled and experienced critical care RNs for our busy, expanded Critical Care Department. Our Progressive Care Unit (PCU) is a 24 bed Step-Down ICU providing service to both medical and surgical step-down intensive care patients, specializing in cardio-vascular surgeries. As one of the PCU Staff Nurses, you will be responsible to the Nurse Manager of your assigned area and will be responsible for the organization and administration of high quality and efficient patient care to our unique patient population.
Work schedule: Day shift 7:00 am - 7:30 pm (rotates to nights as needed) and Night shift 7:00 pm - 7:30 am with one 8 hour shift biweekly
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
This announcement is for an immediate opening. Candidates notified of tentative selection will be required to complete a physical examination, background investigation to include fingerprinting, and VetPro credentialing. For all requirements, additional information may be required and candidates will be provided one to five business days to meet these requirements.**For tentative selectees who fail to report for a physical, fail to submit additional information regarding the physical, fail to complete the on-line background investigation and/or submit the signature pages required to complete the investigation within the five day period may have their name removed from further consideration for this vacancy.
The Greater Los Angeles VA Medical Center is seeking highly skilled and experienced critical care RNs for our busy, expanded Critical Care Department. Our PCU provides service to both medical and surgical step-down ICU patients, specializing in cardio-vascular surgeries. As one of the ICU Staff Nurses, you will be responsible to the Nurse Manager of your assigned area and will be responsible for the organization and administration of high quality and efficient patient care to our unique patient population.
Duties are including but not limited to:
1) Assure detailed, current and comprehensive documentation is contained in the patient medical record and other pertinent records.
2) Utilize human and material resources to provide efficient and effective patient care.
3) Evaluate systems for patient care delivery and personnel management by tailoring the operating environment to the particular needs of the patient population.
4) Promote participation with the Quality Management Program in the Clinical, Research and Educational Programs.
5) Develop and support research projects directed toward improving patient care and staff development.
6) Provide a safe and healthful physical environment for patients and personnel by interpreting and applying organizational controls and national standards.
7) Assure continuing improvement of service to patients, including implementation of an effective customer service program.
8) Understand and facilitate the objectives of student affiliation programs.
9) Ensure compliance with all patient rights and regulatory agency standards.
10) Collaborate with the other health care professionals in providing continuity of services for specific health issues.
11) Improves continuity of professional relationships among the health care team as they collaborate on behalf of patients.
12) Perform emergent care in acute/crisis situations.
13) Perform ongoing monitoring of patient conditions and document patient responses to care in a clear, concise manner.
14) Review and update patient databases, patient care plans and other forms as appropriate.
15) Interact with the family and/or significant others to facilitate patient care.
Duty Location: 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073
Work* Schedule:* Various 12 hour shifts with one 8 hour shift biweekly
Functional Statement Title:Staff Nurse Clinical Pathway
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
English Language Proficiency *Grade Determinations: *The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Completion of a critical care course/training orientation
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from one of the following: American Heart Association - Basic Life Support or the Military Training Network (MTN) Provider certificate/card
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification from the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross for the Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support Program
- Minimum two years of critical care experience required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, kneeling, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The candidate may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The candidate may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. The candidate will be working closely with others and may have protracted or irregular hours of work.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
Qualified candidates will be referred every 2 -3 weeks beginning August 19th, 2016 until all positions are filled. Selections may be made at any time; therefore, applicants are encouraged not to delay in submitting a complete application packet. The announcement will be closed once the positions have been filled. All applicants may receive consideration for six months from the date of application.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $80,187.00 to $136,522.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 447031700
Job Announcement Number: 16-RN-TRP-1767771-BU