Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (ASU/PACU/Pre-OP), Surgery Service in Louisville, Kentucky
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Louisville, KY
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Friday 10/7/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/20/2016 (0 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1819717
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With openings in multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is the VA the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
In recognition of continued efforts to improve patient care, the medical center was awarded the Robert W. Carey 2007 Performance Achievement Award, 2008 Performance Excellence Award, 2009 Trophy Award and 2010 Circle of Excellence Award, and the 2009 Kentucky Center for Performance Excellence Achievement Award.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply!
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and step of the applicant selected.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Surgery nurse will rotate assignments between ASU (Ambulatory Surgery Unit) /PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit) /Surgery Clinics such as Pre-Operative clinic. In these Surgery areas, the RN will care for the Veteran patients pre-operatively and post-operatively providing quality care according to ASPAN guidelines and VA policies.
- Some duties in ASU include but are not limited to starting IVs, giving pre-operative medications, obtaining a patient history, assessing the patient, providing patient education, reviewing the patient chart for necessary documentation such as consent and lab work, participating in the surgical site marking and the surgical pre-procedure briefing.
- Some duties in PACU include but are not limited to patient assessment post-operatively including phase I, II, and III of the recovery process. He/she will provide pain assessment, observe for surgical complication and communicate closely with Anesthesia and Surgery providers.
- Some duties in Pre-Operative Clinic include but are not limited to reviewing charts in preparation for surgery, interviewing patients to obtain medical history and potential concerns. The nurse will perform EKGs, lab draws and obtain other tests in preparation for surgery. The RN will provide clear documentation and will work closely with the Surgical Nurse Practitioner and the Surgery Scheduler.
Our facility is seeking individuals who possess good organizational skills, which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a patient-centered program and the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
WORK SCHEDULE:Primarily Monday Friday; 8 hour tour of duty between the hours of 7:30am-6:00pm. May vary to accommodate patient care needs and emergencies. Position requires on-call. Call usage is low.
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and/or Security Investigation required
- English Language Proficiency required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)(Waiver may be available). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Previous ASU/PACU experience is strongly preferred
- CCRN, CNOR, PCAN, or CAPA certification preferred
- Advance Cardiac Life Savings (ACLS) preferred
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling (up to 4 hours); Pushing (up to 4 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 7-8 hours); Standing (up to 7-8 hours); Repeated bending (up to 7-8 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Far vision correctable to 20/20 in one eye and to 20/40 in the other; Specific visual requirement to be able to read typed characters; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Hearing (aid permitted); emotional and mental stability required.
Veterans Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD-214 and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.) or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: http://www.va.gov/ohrm/joblistings/faxoptions.doc The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1819717.
NOTE:If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified and your experience will be reviewed to determine if you meet the basic qualifications of the position. You will be notified via email when this decision has been made. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service.
Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information."
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefis currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp
This job opportunity may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
Vet-Pro (VA electronic credentialing system):Upon selection, you will be provided with information on how to use Vet-Pro. Vet-Pro was implemented on July 1, 2005. As part of the VA's pre-appointment process, it is necessary for you to submit complete information concerning your professional education, training, experience, licensure, certificate, or registration using Vet-Pro. Vet-Pro credentialing must be successfully completed prior to entering on duty.
Salary Range: $45,785.00 to $93,132.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452684700
Job Announcement Number: VHA-603-17-RY1819717-L-BU