Indian Health Service Medical Support Assistant (MT6002) in Martin, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Martin, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Wednesday 10/12/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (0 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Business Office, Martin*, South Dakota. * Position reports to the Business Office Manager.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicant who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
- Interviews patients to obtain pertinent patient registration information; i.e., demographic and insurance information and authorization to enable the facility business office to bill got health care services provided from all alternate resources, including the non-beneficiary services.
- Assists patients in completing new or updated forms for the RPMS Patient Registration System. This will include in-patient, outpatients, emergencies and after-hour patients, extended clinic hour patients, dental, mental health and social services patients.
- Determines the eligibility of patients seeking health care, who have not previously been treated at the facility, by obtaining the certificate of indian blood or other documentary proof of tribal membership, according to the IHS guidelines.
- Identifies those patients whpose health benefits are subject to prior approval (pre-certification) to determine the extent of health care for both inpatient and outpatient. Obtains and verifies the health records and the information for all patients seen prior to all clinic visits.
- Incumbent will perform on call duties, work rotating shifts to include, holiday, weekends, before and after hours.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
The following shows the amounts of education and/or experience required to qualify for this position:
GS-04: *One (1) year of general experience or two (2) years of education above the high school level. *GS-05: *One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-04 grade level or (4) four years above high school *GS-06: *One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level. NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable *General Experience--Progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled. Specialized Experience-Experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Applicants who have the 1 year of appropriate specialized experience, as indicated, are not required by this standard to have general experience, education above the high school level, or any additional specialized experience to meet the minimum qualification requirements. To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-05 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-04) level that included duties such as: Collect third party recipient health cards. Explain the program to the beneficiaries, i.e. why Medicare, Medicaid and/or private insurance will be billed for the services they received. Interview and assist patients in completing new or updated forms for patient the registration system. Obtain and verify the health records and the patient registration system. To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-06 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-05) level that included duties such as: Interview patients to obtain pertinent patient registration information. Assist patients in completing new or updated forms for the RPMS Patient Registration System. Determine the eligibility of patients seeking health care. Identify patients whose health benefits are subject to prior approval. Obtain signatures for file on required form for Alternate resources and PRC services prior to patients being seen in the clinics for billing purposes and/or PRC eligibility. Maintain, key-enter, update and verify all Alternate Resources data necessary for patient registration and for accurate billing through the use of the RPMS system. Collect third party recipient health cards and obtain photocopies of the card and explain the program to the beneficiaries. Successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite is creditable at grades GS-3 through GS-5 for all positions except Reporting Stenographer, GS-5. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.
**Time-In-Grade Requirements:* Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).*
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Additional selections may be made on this vacancy.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $28,886.00 to $46,831.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0679-04/06
Promotion Potential: 06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 453065900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GP-1733632-ESEP/MP