Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Chief Medical Officer (VISN 23) (Physician) in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Minneapolis, MN
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 2/11/2016 (258 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (66 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1623785
APPLICANTS WHO APPLIED TO BC-15-1537574-LAH DO NOT NEED TO REAPPLY, THEY ARE STILL BEING CONSIDERED.
This announcement establishes an open continuous announcement of eligible applicants to be considered for this position. The What Happens Next area of the announcement provides additional information on the referral process for this type of announcement.
This position is located in the VA Midwest Health Care Network Office in Eagan, MN. The VA Midwest Health Care Network (VISN 23) is seeking a highly experienced physician leader to serve as the Chief Medical Officer for the Network. VISN 23 serves Veterans residing in Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and portions of Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, and has maintained steady growth in the number of Veterans served. VISN 23 provides health care services to nearly 334,000 Veterans through an integrated system of 9 hospitals, 69 community clinics, 8 community living centers, and 4 domiciliary residential rehabilitation treatment programs. VISN 23 operates under a Service Line and Integrated Services collaborative organizational structure where Service Lines and Integrated Services use a formal system to disseminate exemplary practices, coordinate care, conduct strategic planning and integrate the health care delivery system.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Recruitment and Relocation incentives MAY BE authorized to a highly qualified candidate.
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) functions as a principal member of the VHA VISN 23 Network interdisciplinary staff providing the necessary clinical leadership to actualize the future direction of VISN 23 in the context of the VHA Strategic Plan.
The CMO is expected to be proficient in both the clinical aspects of the organization and delivery of health services, as well as the managerial components necessary to guide large cadres of health professionals in the Network's medical centers, clinics and outpatient facilities.
In addition the CMO, is expected to have the requisite coordinating skills in interacting with academic affiliates, veterans service organizations, other VISNs, as well as other stakeholders doing business with VISN 23.
Knowledge and experience in total quality management, planning, and evaluation of programs with particular reference to assessment of cost-effectiveness of programs and advocacy of sensitivity to the needs and aspirations of a diverse workforce are also expected of the CMO.
Additional duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participating fully as a member of the Network top management team, providing advice and counsel in all aspects of defining and accomplishing the creation of an integrated health care delivery system;
- Establishing multiple ongoing mechanisms for open communication throughout all levels of the network, whereby Chiefs of Staff, Service Line Managers and other key clinical and administrative Network employees are kept informed of organizational developments that affect them;
- Participating in both short and long-range planning of all patient care, education and research programs in the Network to enhance both effectiveness and efficiency of clinical, educational and research programs;
- Conducting site visits to Network facilities on an ongoing basis to observe care delivery and monitor compliance with standards of practice;
- Collaborating with the Chief Financial Officer of the Network in developing an annual budget and its implementation;
- Actively facilitates the coordination of primary, secondary, and tertiary care systems to ensure access to care for all Veterans
- Coordinates strategic planning efforts for health care delivery with effective business planning to assure maximum health care quality and efficiency
- Evaluates current potential patient population needs, clinical workload, resources, special program mandates, and cost benefit analyses to recommend and effective mix, coordination, and support of clinical programs.
- Ensures continuous improvement relative to the quality, value, and access of health care services
- Encourages clinical innovation
- Participates in the allocation of resources and modification of programs to best meet the needs of the veteran population
- Facilitates the recruitment and retention of high quality clinical staff
- Promotes effective communication and working relationships with medical and other school affiliates
- Supports the development or expansion of clinical research programs
- Preparation of VISN policies dealing with health care services
- Coordinating relations with academic affiliates and other federal, state and community private and public health entities
- Providing oversight and guidance to Network clinical committees
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm (alternate tour options available)
Functional Statement Title/#:Physician (VISN) 000000**
- 25% or Greater
- Requires some travel for site visits and conferences
- Relocation expenses are authorized for this position. The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation services. Permanent Change of Station is the relocation of a household due to government convenience in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities. For more information go to: http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Licensure, certification, and/or registration required
Basic Requirements*: *
- U.S. Citizenship - Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens accordance with VA policy
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience:This position has preferred experience in addition to the basic requirements listed above:
- A minimum of 10 years of professional practice with increasing responsibility, at least 5 with administrative function experience.
- Leading a large clinical program, service line, or medical facility.
- Previous position/s of increasing responsibility leading programs at the local or regional level.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to function as a liaison with congressional offices, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work with community organizations.
- Ability to partner with academic affiliations and research programs.
- Experience with managing budgets and developing programs to enhance revenue.
- Experience with regulatory agencies and quality oversight programs.
- Special Training and interest in Health Care Management
- Proven ability to promote innovation and inspire organizational excellence
- Board certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)
Note:Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.* *This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Heavy lifting (45lbs and over); Heavy carrying (45lbs and over); Straight pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1-2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; both hands required; walking (up to 2 hours); standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable 12 to 16"; Hearing (aid permitted).
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. The first list of eligible applicants will be pulled for referral on February 25, 2016. Subsequent referrals will be made every two weeks after that date. Applications received after the first cut-off date, will be considered for the second cut-off, and so throughout the life of the announcement or until a selection has been made. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice:VHA physician brochure*.*
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
Salary Range: $145,000.00 to $265,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-15/15
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Control Number: 429200100
Job Announcement Number: BC-16-1623785-LAH-OCA