Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration REGISTERED NURSE (HYBRID OPERATING ROOM) in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
6 vacancies in the following location:
- Minneapolis, MN
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (12 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (2 day(s) away)
REGISTERED NURSE - HYBRID OPERATING ROOM
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1826333
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
THE VA IS A CHOICE EMPLOYER
THE VA IS A LEADER IN HIGH QUALITY CARE
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The incumbent for this position is not eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP). EDRP availability may be advertised at some VA agencies. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
NEW HYBRID OPERATING ROOM
OPENING FALL OF 2016
1 Full-Time POSITION
ON-CALL COVERAGE & RESPONSIBILITIES IS REQUIRED
Position Summary: The registered professional nurse will be accountable to the Hybrid Operating Room Nurse Manager and Assistant Nurse Manager. This registered nurse will assume responsibility and accountability for direct patient care during day to day clinical operation and patient flow in the hybrid operating room department. Duties will include direct patient care in single & biplane configured procedural hybrid operating rooms. The registered nurse is responsible for contributing to the establishment and implementation of evidenced-based nursing standards of practice. In collaboration with the nurse management team, creates and sustains a positive work environment which enhances patient care delivery and professional development of team members. The registered nurse promotes, creates, demonstrates and ensures a culturally diverse workforce in which the values and needs of all individuals are respected.
Role Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The registered nurse is also responsible and accountable for maintaining training required and may be assigned additional duties that reflect the educational, experiential and competency requirements outlined in the Nursing Professional Standards Board nine (9) Dimensions of Practice:
There are six major responsibilities of the registered nurse in the hybrid operating rooms
Provides direct patient care within the hybrid operating room department.
Serves as a role model for collaborative team membership and communicates effectively within the team and with interdisciplinary, supportive departments.
Monitors quality of patient care and nursing practice of self; seeking professional growth and development.
Develops and/or provides education for staff to meet specific patient care needs on the unit.
Participates in the unit based continuous improvement activities.
Complies with organizational expectations, missions and values.
Experience in hybrid OR's, Operating Room, Endovascular Suites, Cardiac Cath Lab, or Interventional Radiology is preferred.
CNOR (Certified Operating Room Nurse) is preferred.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
English proficiency *Grade Determinations: * The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Education/Experience Requirements:Years of experience and educational degree factor into the determination of pay.
Preferred Experience: The VA hires new graduates. Some positions require nursing experience and this is detailed in the duty section of the announcement.
Experience refers to paid nursing experience. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including LPN experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:In accordance with HRML No. 05-12-02, Employment of People with Disabilities, Including Under Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102 (u). Requirements include:
Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Reaching Above Shoulder; Both Hands Required; Walking Throughout Assigned Shift; Standing As Duties Require; Kneeling as Duties Require; Repeated Bending As Duties Require; Both Legs Are Required; Near Vision Correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far Vision Correctable in One Eye To 20/50 and to 20/100 In the Other; Color Vision; Hearing (aid permitted); and Specific Hearing Requirements.
Conditions of Employment: (Failure to comply may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or dismissal after appointment).
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States.
- Applicants tentatively selected for certain designated positions may be subject to a random drug screening for illegal drug use. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment.
- New Appointees will be subject to a background investigation to determine suitability. Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify at the time of appointment that they have registered with the Selective Service system or are exempt for having to do so under Selective Service law.
- Applicants must not be listed on the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of Inspector General Sanctions database.
- Applicants selected for positions through this announcement may be subject to a one or two year probationary period.
- 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d) requires that persons appointed to direct patient-care positions must possess the required basic proficiency in spoken and written English.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave (AL) shall accrue for full-time RN, CRNA & APRN at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period. AL can be used as it is accrued depending on sufficient staffing and seniority.
Sick Leave (SL) shall accrue for full-time RN, CRNA, & APRN at the rate of 4 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
Free parking, free city transportation, on-site daycare.
Retirement programs including Pension Plan, Retired Employee Health Care Plan, Thrift Savings Plan.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment. This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $68,275.00 to $110,178.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: This announcement is only for current employees of the Minneapolis VA Health Care System.
Control Number: 453492700
Job Announcement Number: VU-17-PSS-1826333-BU