Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration RNP-Registered Nurse Practitioner (Home Based Primary Care) in Modesto, California
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Modesto, CA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Saturday 9/10/2016 (42 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (69 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1796617
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) consists of three inpatient facilities located at Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Livermore, plus seven outpatient clinics in San Jose, Fremont, Capitola, Monterey, Stockton, Modesto, and Sonora. These facilities provide some of the world's finest medical care and cutting-edge technology.
VAPAHCS is a teaching hospital with an affiliation with the Stanford University School of Medicine which provides a rich academic environment including medical training for physicians in virtually all specialties and subspecialties. Our Health Care System operates over 800 beds, including three nursing homes and a 100-bedhomeless domiciliary - all to serve more than 67,000 enrolled Veterans.
All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with the VA.
You can learn more about VAPAHCS by visiting: http://www.paloalto.va.gov/about/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
NOTE: Declining to be interviewed, failure to respond/accept interview attempts, or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with to meet patient and program needs.
Position/Position #: Registered Nurse Practitioner/00000
This position is open until filled. First cut off date is September 30th, 2016 with review and referral of qualified applicants every two weeks.*
RELOCATION INCENTIVE/RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE IS NOT AUTHORIZED.
Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) is an interdisciplinary program that provides short term and long-term health care services to patients who are homebound. The HBPC Nurse Practitioner provides and coordinates comprehensive, interdisciplinary, primary medical care & case management in the homes of veterans with complex medical, social, and behavioral conditions. Population served includes those patients with multiple chronically active medical problems, impairment in self care, non-ambulatory, cognitive impairment, frequent use of the ER/hospital, terminally ill, no caregivers/support network; no other accessible primary care provider. The HBPC Nurse Practitioner works at the Modesto Community Based Outpatient Clinic of Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS).The major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides oversight when consulting & collaborating with interdisciplinary team members to develop strategies/plan of care for handling specific patient needs.
- Develops and updates, with the collaboration of the interdisciplinary team, patient treatment plans and ensures care coordination by involving the patient, caregiver(s), family, VA and community programs.
- Provides and /or coordinates skilled nursing services which includes but not limited to: monitoring and management of chronic and acute illnesses, medication management, wound care, lab tests, catheter care, injections, electrocardiograms, promotion of health, wellness and independence.
- Coordinates and participates in implementation of clinical practice guidelines.
- Participates in QA activities and utilizes an ethical code of conduct and continuing education to promote and maintain high standards of professionalism and leadership.
- 75% or Greater
- Travels to patient's home is required everyday
- Must pass pre-employment examination and drug testing.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by the National League of Nursing Accreditation Commission (NLNAC) which changed to the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN; http://www.acenursing.org) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE; http://www.aacn.nche.edu/) at the time the program was completed; ORthe completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State and possesses a full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. [The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.
In addition to the basic requirements, the following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference:VA Handbook 5005/72, Part II, Appendix G6 Nurse Qualification Standard, dated March 17, 2009, http://vaww.va.gov/OHRM/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf
- (1) year of full-time experience as a licensed professional RN/RNP. Preferred Criteria:
- Current BLS provider card issued by American Heart Association (AHA) or Military Training Network (MTN).
- One (1) year of full-time experience providing care in the home or community setting as an RN/RNP.
- Current prescriptive privileges (Nurse Practitioner Furnishing Number) with the DEA number from the United States Drug Enforcement administration for Schedule II-V controlled substances with demonstration of meeting California State Board of Nursing requirements to prescribe controlled substances.
- Current and valid State Drivers' license.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:This position requires heavy lifting, 45 pounds heavy carrying, 45 pounds straight pulling (2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking & standing 8 hours - intermittently; repeated bending; both legs required; ability for rapid mental& muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; depth perception; ability to distinguish shades of colors; hearing (aide permitted). Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $98,016.00 to $160,300.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 449893100
Job Announcement Number: VK-16-WD-1796617-OCA-BU