Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Emergency Medicine - Assistant Chief) in New Orleans, Louisiana
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- New Orleans, LA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 10/3/2016 (21 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 9/29/2017 (340 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1799325
NOTE: Vacancy is Open Until Filled. The 1st Cut-off in 5 business days. Certificate issuance will be every 15 business days.
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
Project Legacy Statement:
Residents of Greater New Orleans enjoy one of the highest qualities of life in the United States. While we are known to enjoy many of the best restaurants in the world, more than 300 festivals, vibrant night life, not to mention Mardi Gras, that's just the beginning of what we have to offer. We treasure family and community, our children have access to high-quality education, we enjoy an incredible abundance of the arts, and so much more!
Here at Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System, we strive to be an efficient organization through continual process improvement and orderliness by eliminating waste in everything we do. We are generating a Lean environment of abundance and ownership, enabling us to become "one team creating the perfect patient experience" so that we may honor Veterans and their families.
We're in the process of constructing and activating a new medical center that will serve as a model for health care of the future and set the standards for patient-centered care, flexibility and sustainability. It will be a level one, 200 bed tertiary care regional referral center that is projected to serve 70,000 enrolled Veterans. The new medical center will be approximately 1.6 million square feet, with two additional 1,000-car garages for both patients and staff on a 30-acre site in New Orleans. The facility has been designed to meet the full array of VA missions: health care to America's heroes, education, research and national preparedness. It will authentically reflect the culture of the region and be the cornerstone for the emerging biosciences industry in New Orleans. You can help us build from the ground up. Create history with us and join our team!
For more information about the greater New Orleans area, visit http://www.destinationgno.com/
To learn more about Project Legacy, the project to design and build a new medical center to replace the one damaged from Hurricane Katrina, visit http://www.neworleans.va.gov/ProjectLegacy.asp
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VANewOrleans
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VANewOrleans
The Assistant Chief will have full authority to act in the absence of the Chief of Emergency Medicine and will directly supervise and evaluate the performance of the physicians, nurse practitioners, residents, physician assistants and health technicians assigned to Emergency Medicine Service. In this capacity, your duties may include the following:
- He/She will keep abreast of the operations and/or personnel issues of Emergency Medicine in order to make informed decisions.
- He/She will provide patient care in the SLVHCS Emergency Medicine Service and in that capacity will be required to perform expected routine procedures that, as a Board Certified Emergency Medicine Physician, he/she is privileged to perform through the usual credentialing and privileging process.
- He/She will have oversight of Process Improvement/Quality Assurance/Utilization Review projects and other administrative duties as assigned.
- He/She will provide leadership, planning, organization, staffing, coordination, and evaluation for emergency department activities and will ensure the ethical and competent practice of emergency medicine within the Service.
- He/She will work in close conjunction with the Chief, Emergency Medicine Service, to develop patient care process improvement projects and provide input into activation of Emergency Medicine Service.
- He/She will provide oversight and education for medical students and trainees from affiliated medical schools.
- He/She will ensure that ACGME requirements for Emergency Medicine trainees are met.
- He/She will meet the requirements of the Joint Commission on Accreditation of healthcare Organizations that apply to Emergency Medicine Service.
- He/She will perform all other duties as assigned by the Service Chief.
- Board certification in Emergency Medicine is required. He/she will also have BLS and ACLS for the position. ATLS is encouraged.
TOUR OF DUTY: Monday-Friday & Weekends - Days, Nights & Evenings (40 hour work week/80 hour two week pay period).
Functional Statement: Physician (Emergency Medicine - Assistant Chief)
(Functional Statement is available for review in the Human Resources Office)
This is NOT a Bargaining Unit Position
- Not Required
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Subject to initial and/or random drug testing.
- Subject to initial and/or annual medical examination.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Current Employees must submit a non-award SF-50.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
* Basic Requirements*: **
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Qualifications include strong administrative and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to provide patient care and supervise trainees in all healthcare settings. Expertise and board certification in Emergency Medicine procedures is required. Candidates must have academic credentials to be qualified for a faculty appointment (assistant or associate professor). Academic rank is determined by our affiliate, Tulane University School of Medicine.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organization (e.g., professional, philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- * Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.*
PLEASE NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: A pre-placement physical examination will be completed prior to appointment to determine the physical and mental fitness of candidates. The examination will be concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and will include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies. Physician applicants must have the mental and physical ability to perform core privileges required by the specialty position in addition to any specialty privileges requested.
Veterans' Preference:When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD-214(s), SF-15 (as applicable) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure - http://www.vacareers.va.gov/assets/common/print/PhysicianBrochure.pdf
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $240,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Status Candidates
Control Number: 450266900
Job Announcement Number: FE-17-GR-1799325