HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Vice President, Human Resources (VP, HR) in Ogden, Utah
*People. Performance. Possibilities. * These words describe the focus of our Human Resources team… supporting the mission of HCA, one of the largest healthcare providers in the world: /“Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.”/ HCA HR has recently expanded the ways that it provides service to leaders and employees by unifying our HR team to offer new services for caregivers including our 24/7 HCA hrAnswers Center and Portal, new capabilities with our expanded Centers of Excellence, and new business impact through strategic HR Business Partner teams. There’s never been a more exciting time to join HCA HR.
As a cornerstone of our thriving community in Weber County, Ogden Regional Medical Center (ORMC) offers invaluable expertise gained from almost 70 years of delivering exceptional patient care. Our hospital (an affiliate of HCA and part of the MountainStar Healthcare network) is dedicated to providing high-quality healthcare. We meet that standard through changes in upgrading technology and advanced procedures. While these changes may be constant, our tradition (founded by the sisters at the Order of St. Benedict in 1946) of caring and healing will never fade.
The Vice President, Human Resources, provides strategic HR and talent consulting/advising to the executive team (CEO, CFO, CNO, Dept., Directors, etc.) at Ogden Regional Medical Center (ORMC), creating the desired workplace culture and an engaged and productive workforce through HCA’s policies, programs and practices. Reporting to the Regional VP of HR for our Mountain Division, and proactively working with all HCA HR Centers of Excellence and HR Service Centers, this position will be responsible for the following:
- Lead the facility HR team to deliver strategic and operational HR support within the facility.
- Partner with the executive leadership team to analyze and prioritize the critical business challenges faced by the organization, and deploy appropriate HR interventions in collaboration with appropriate COEs.
- Work collaboratively with other Region HR leaders, the HR Centers of Excellence and HR Service Centers to provide feedback and improve the enterprise-wide programs and services for the employee and leader population.
- Ensure operational excellence, monitoring and measuring the effectiveness and efficiency of the HR team.
- As appropriate, lead the HR response to emergencies, disasters, and other time-sensitive events, as well as routine employee issues regarding performance, compensation, employee relations, engagement, and other areas. Align Business and HR Strategy for facility
- Engage executives (CEO, CFO, CNO, Dept., Managers, etc.) to understand talent needs of the businesses and define responses.
- Lead the facility HR staff to execute HCA-wide and location-specific HR initiatives.
- Participate in periodic business strategic planning and review cycles; act as the human capital strategy architect to proactively work with COE teams to identify and deploy HR interventions to meet business requirements.
- Proactively obtain, interpret and present metrics and analysis to business leaders to inform decisions (performance, attrition, hiring, vacancy, employee engagement/sensing, and other data).
- If applicable, work with the Regional VP of HR and the Labor Relations Center of Excellence to develop and implement facility Labor strategies, support contract negotiations, grievance investigations, etc. Advise executives on people issues
- Provide HR observations related to strategy/performance in meetings and one-on-one; formulate HR requirements.
- Advise business leaders on change management, performance issues, responding to employee or community concerns, compliance or ethics investigations, etc.
- Manage response to executive requests for information, questions or special projects. Deploy talent and development programs
- Partner with COE to deploy talent programs (performance assessment & review, succession planning, development planning). Working with facility managers and the L&OD Center of Excellence, conduct learning needs assessment, establish development priorities for the facility and promote development resources to employees.
- Support executives and managers with advice and HCA tools for employee coaching, mentoring, multi-rater feedback processes, high-potential development, career development counseling, etc. Lead local Employee & Community engagement efforts
- Promote and foster a healthy work environment; raise awareness of available programs to assist employees. Implement appropriate employee engagement programs and union avoidance initiatives (as applicable).
- Represent HCA in helping organize or participate in community meetings and events; lead process for applying for relevant grants. Engage in community talent pipeline development programs.
- Interpret and drive action planning as a result of employee engagement surveys; assess population “temperature” through formal and informal sensing and report results/plan actions with executive team.
- Implement programs to recognize service and celebrate achievement by employees. Partner to support business performance, quality and patient care initiatives
- Partner with Corporate & Business (or LOB) leaders on initiatives related to patient care, quality, safety & compliance, physical security, data security, professional ethics, etc., implementing training and development, performance management, certification & other initiatives to create an environment of compliance/excellence.
- Uphold all compliance standards, including OFCCP, Joint Commission, Department of Labor, HR policies.
- Investigate employee relations, ethics, or compliance issues, consulting with appropriate COE/Service Center.
- Implement individual performance evaluation, problem identification and resolution processes based on COE-defined HCA policies and processes; provide advice to leaders on policy interpretation and advising on disciplinary practices, consult on suspension/ termination of employment decisions.
- Escalate major issues to Regional VP of HR and/or HR Center of Excellence leaders when appropriate.
- Co-create and manage location emergency response plans with appropriate departments. Drive HR operational excellence
- Build develop and lead a team of HR professionals within the facility.
- Work with business executives, Regional VP of HR and all HR Centers of Excellence to develop or modify strategies and programs to more effectively meet business needs and align with the HCA culture.
- Work with CFO and Total Rewards Center of Excellence to develop the compensation strategy; prepare managers for the salary planning and incentive process, providing budgets; present results of the process to business leaders.
- Effectively communicate benefits changes, employee value proposition, etc.; support Total Rewards COE with benefits enrollment at facility level.
- Conduct ongoing position budgeting review and ensure that staffing plans are aligned with span of control, productivity metrics, budgeted allocations, etc. Understand local and regional healthcare talent market; revise and localize job descriptions and compensation with Recruiting and Compensation Centers of Excellence. Assist leadership with temporary/PRN workforce planning & implementation, internship placements and other non-RFT talent processes.
- Manage local onboarding and facility orientation programs.
- Support applicable employee leave of absence/return to work coordination at facility level.
- Drive effective leader and employee communications initiatives.
- Ensure effective implementation and utilization of the HR support model; guide employees to use the model effectively and ensure established policies and processes are followed.
* 7 years’ work experience as an HR focused leader working within a hospital/healthcare or another professional setting, guiding a team of dedicated HR professionals to achieve desired results.
* Must be able to provide strategic HR leadership, work with all levels of stakeholders and provide the best outcomes possible.
Education * Bachelor’s Degree Required. * Master’s Degree Preferred. * PHR/SPHR highly desired. INDKD #CB #LI-PT1
Title: Vice President, Human Resources (VP, HR)
Location: Utah-Ogden-Ogden Regional Medical Center
Requisition ID: 26561-2626