Washington State Fiscal Analyst 1 in Olympia, Washington
The Opportunity:** The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking a highly motivated Fiscal Analyst 1 to join the Payroll Section of the Accounting and Financial Services (AFS) division. The successful candidate will utilize current academic and professional experience to help the Accounting and Financial Services division deliver timely, effective, and efficient payroll services. This position will gain practical experience with a wide variety of payroll and accounting functions and will assist in the preparation of payroll related reports and statements and process basic transactions in HRMS, Labor and TRAINS. This position establishes and maintains payroll files, conducts entry-level review of payroll data and transactions, processes payroll statements and warrants, and provides support for both the payroll help desk and imaging system.
This is a great opportunity for a candidate to refine and hone existing skills as well as develop new accounting and payroll skills.
WSDOT is the steward of a multimodal transportation system and responsible for ensuring that people and goods move safely and efficiently. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system consisting of over 18,000 lane miles and 3,600 bridge structures, WSDOT is responsible for the largest ferry system in the nation; owns three Talgo train sets in the Amtrak Cascades fleet; and works in partnership with others to maintain and improve local roads, railroads and airports, as well as to support alternatives to driving, such as public transportation, bicycles and pedestrian programs. Additionally, WSDOT manages the world's widest tunneling project and the world's longest floating bridge. WSDOT's diverse programs and projects are supported by more than 6,800 full-time employees, including engineers, vessel captains, maintenance technicians, environmental specialists, planners, and more. We take pride in our workforce and strive for excellence and integrity in everything we do.
This position will perform the following work:
- Perform Employment Security Department verification of employment.
- Prepare and process HRMS spools and distribute reports.
- Review and process leave reports.
- Review assigned Remedy queues, research questions and respond to customers inquiries in accordance with timelines prescribed by management.
- Review assigned SWAMP queues and process work packages.
- Analyze and interpret payroll data, the ability to locate and correct discrepancies.
- Assist with the preparation, analysis and review of state/federal reports.
- Collect and enter labor data for assigned department in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements and state rules.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- A Bachelor's degree which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting, auditing, or budgeting. Professional experience may substitute for education but not for credit hours. A Master's degree in financial related field, certification as a Public Accountant, Internal Auditor, Certified Governmental Financial Manager, or Management Accountant can be substituted for professional experience.
- Experience preparing and processing payroll transaction in HRMS, TRAINS, and WSDOT Labor Systems is desired.
- Advanced skills in computer applications. The ability to develop and produce reports, spreadsheets and correspondence using MS Office and Mainframe applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. The ability to translate and interpret payroll and accounting procedures to internal and external customers.
- Ability to research state laws, policies, Collective Bargaining Agreement's and procedures related to payroll and accounting.
Note:This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
Employment, Education and Criminal History Verification
Due to the nature of this position a comprehensive background check will be conducted on the final candidate(s) prior to hire. Applicants will be required to sign a release of authorization prior to conducting the background check. Applicants will be notified prior to any adverse hire action taken as a result of a background check. Information received from the background check does not automatically make a candidate ineligible for employment. However, candidates that provide false or misleading information in their application and/or authorization may be eliminated from any further consideration. If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the recruiter listed above.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large* "*apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions and as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
*Be prepared to provide references at the time of interview. *
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Chuck Johnson at 360-705-6846 or email to JohnCha@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 2016-HQ-163.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Recruitment and Retention Section, Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-HQ-163
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $33,504.00 - $43,524.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA