Washington State Information Technology Solutions Architect in Olympia, Washington
Open until filled; first review of applications to begin October 20, 2016. Candidates are encouraged to apply early. AOC reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time.
If you have applied for this position within the last six months you do not need to reapply.
An information technology solutions architect develops options and recommendations for information technology designs and solutions to meet business requirements and resolve identified business problems within Washington's judicial branch of government. Reporting to the manager for the Office of Architecture and Strategy Manager, this expert level professional works under general supervision to develop system architecture and designs in support of projects and applications. The SA also interacts regularly with executive leadership, agency management, all levels of division staff, and staff assigned to specific projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Converts business requirements into a design that will become the blueprint for the solution being created to solve an identified business problem. Ensures that technology solutions are cohesive, align with the enterprise architecture standards, strategic IT roadmaps, while meeting the customer needs. Employs effective reusable application design and software engineering strategies and best practices. Participates in solution design reviews and other project related checkpoints. Provides options and recommendations for technical designs and solutions to internal/external stakeholders and AOC executive leadership.
Reports to the Architecture & Strategy Manager. Positions in this classification interact with executive leadership, agency management, external stakeholders, all levels of division staff, and staff assigned to specific projects. Work is done under general direction, and as assigned by management.
- Serves as the solution lead to assess available project information to understand the scope of project, the current IT and business environment, objectives and priorities of the organization.
- Validates and/or defines and documents the proposed, high-level solution.
- Analyzes technical risks and advises on risk mitigation strategies.
- Identifies resource skills needed to deliver the proposed solution.
Provides information and expertise to the Project Manager and Business Analyst to assist with development of a high-level project schedule, resource plan for the project, and project costs. Solution Outline
Prepares for the delivering of the application or system by evaluating and selecting the methodologies and tools.
- Analyzes available assets (frameworks, reference architectures, etc.) to bridge the gap between the as-is architecture and the to-be architecture.
- Understands and applies knowledge of complex technology environments and solution architecture practices across the necessary analysis, technical architecture, and design tasks to develop well-integrated, cost-effective solutions for the business problems in the assigned projects.
- Works with the Business Analyst to document/refine requirements (functional and non-functional) and to addresses compliance requirements.
- Establishes high-level models that guide solution architecture design, sub-architecture, or deployment; and reviews with all interested parties.
- Adheres to IT standards. Collaborates with Enterprise Architects and Project Managers to optimize and balance long range architectural objectives and project constraints while maintaining customer value streams.
- Defines and documents the actions needed to close architecture gaps in support of business objectives.
- Participates in reviews of the designs, prototypes, and other technical deliverables to ensure they fulfill requirements and meet standards.
- Refines architectural decisions, at a project level, related to the infrastructure, data architecture, application architecture, patterns and designs, and security; to include:
- Developing conceptual models and performing gap analysis.
- Identifying services to be developed and integrated into IT solutions.
- Ensures the end-to-end service architectural roadmap to address the standard service and customization options.
Defines and implements plans to address the service's integration points with other services. Release
Leads the overall design and works with the development teams during design phase of the projects
- Provides guidance and oversight on the work performed by the development team. Duties include providing basic guidance to development and testing staff for assigned daily duties, monitoring work product and quality, and assisting project managers in project planning.
- Ensures the progression of the solution development through to implementation and customer acceptance and rollout to production.
- Participates in solution design reviews and other project related checkpoints.
Analyzes, learns, and applies new technology and architecture trends in alignment with the AOC Enterprise Architecture direction.
Continuously enhances the AOC solution architecture knowledgebase by creating reusable common design patterns and solutions.
Independently prepares written materials and gives oral presentations to project stakeholder groups and AOC leadership to communicate and educate stakeholders on solution recommendations and technology options. Presents solution designs to enterprise architecture and agency leadership for review and approval of the designs. Provides input to ISD planning and budgeting. Performs other duties as required.
Please refer to the job description at www.courts.wa.gov/employ for more information. Qualifications
QUALIFICATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
A Bachelor's degree in an information technology discipline; Master's degree or post-graduate work preferred, AND
At least 4 years of senior level experience in development and design of complex IT systems including substantive experience providing architectural guidance and/or supervision to developers/teams as an Architect or Lead Developer/Engineer; AND
Substantive experience working across expansive, multiple areas of software, hardware, networking, and integration of diverse technology areas (such as mainframe (Z/OS), Z/Linux, WebSphere & Java, BizTalk and Microsoft .net, DB2 and SQL Server, etc. based applications).
Relevant experience may substitute for education on a year for year basis.
The Preferred Candidate Will Have
One or more certifications in the area of architecture such as The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF), Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA), etc.
To be Considered for this Position, Please Submit:
A cover letterspecifying how you meet the qualifications of the position (no more than two pages);
A chronological resumedescribing your prior job experience to include employers, dates of employment (by total months/years), description of duties, and education; and
A completed AOC Application for Employment(found at www.courts.wa.gov/employ).
Failure to submit the required materials listed above may eliminate your application from consideration.
Submission by email is preferred: Employment@courts.wa.gov; or you can fax to (360) 586-4409; or send by mail to Administrative Office of the Courts, PO Box 41170, Olympia, WA 98504-1170
The AOC is committed to the practice of equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons of disability needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this announcement in an alternative format, please contact Colleen Clark, AOC Human Resource Office, at (360) 704-4143 or fax (360) 586-4409, or via email toEmployment@courts.wa.gov.
SPECIAL NOTE: All employees hired by the Administrative Office of the Courts are required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check with continued employment with the AOC contingent upon the results of this background check.
Job Type: Exempt
Job Number: 2016-053-I24
Department: Administrative Office of the Courts
Closing: 11/30/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $72,140.00 - $95,964.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA