Indian Health Service Medical Technologist, GS-0644-09 in Parker, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Parker, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/7/2016 (18 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/27/2016 (2 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Medical Technologist for the Parker Indian Health Clinic performing lab testing and reports to the Supervisory Medical Technologist.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-17-PX-1821952-DE;for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
- Perform moderate complexity clinical laboratory testing
- Perform quality control testing and maintain lab quality assurance program to meet the Joint Commission requirements and evaluates work performance of subordinates.
- Plans work to be accomplished by subordinates, set and adjust short-term priorities and prepare schedules for completion of work.
- Manage instruments and supplies for the laboratory.
- Provide guidance, training and assistance to POCT sites within the Colorado River Service Unit.
- Not Required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
In order to be considered, applicants must meet both of the following requirements listed below.
1. Basic Qualifications - All applicants must meet one of the following Basic Requirements for the GS-0644 series, Medical Technologist:
- Bachelor's degree, or higher graduate degree, with major study in medical technology, chemistry, or biology that included: 16 semester hours in biological science, 16 semester hours in chemistry, and 3 semester hours of college mathematics; OR
- A full 4-year course of study that included or was supplemented by at least 12 months in a college or hospital-based medical technology program or medical technology school approved by a recognized accrediting organization; OR
- A combination of 1) at least 35 semester hours of biological science, chemistry, and mathematics AND 2) additional appropriate education and/or experience totaling 4 years.
2. Additional Qualifications - In addition to one of the Basic Requirements listed above, all candidates must meet the additional specialized experience and/or graduate education for the GS-09 level:
- 1 year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector serving as a Medical Technologist applying and modifying analytical methods and procedures in the performance of standardized tests and examinations of human tissue, body fluids and other substances in the clinical laboratory; OR
- A master's degree OR 2 full years of progressively high level graduate education leading to a master's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, or equivalent course of study; OR
- A combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, October 27, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $51,385.00 to $64,228.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0644-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 452972600
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-PX-1795357-ESEP/MP